How Does Abel's Theorem Apply to Uniform Convergence?

• Thread starter sandra1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, The conversation discusses Abel's Theorem and the radius of convergence for a power series. The homework statement provides two parts, a and b, with specific conditions for convergence. The summary covers the use of the Weierstrass M-test and the role of the epsilon values in determining the uniform convergence of the series. It also explains the necessity of the epsilon values in ensuring convergence for both positive and negative values of the radius.
sandra1
Hi everyone,

I'm reading my analysis textbook and trying to prove Abel's Theorem but I don't really get it. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Homework Statement

Suppose that R in (0, ∞) is the radius convergence for the power series ∑(k=0 to inf) a_k(x-a)^k.

a. if ∑(k=0 to ∞) (a_k)*R^k converges, then ∑(k=0 to ∞) a_k(x-a)^k converges uniformly on [a-R+ ε1, a+R] for any ε1>0.
b. if ∑(k=0 to ∞) (a_k)* (-R)^k converges, then ∑(k=0 to ∞) a_k(x-a)^k converges uniformly on [a-R, a+R-ε2] for any ε2 >0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this has to do with the Weierstrass M-Test but I'm confused about the [a-R+ε1, a+R] and [a-R+ε2, a+R] parts:

So since R is radius of convergence , for |x-a|<R the series ∑(k=0 to ∞) a_k(x-a)^k converges, and so:
|a_k(x-a)^k| < (a_k)* (R)^k
and ∑(k=0 to ∞) (a_k)*R^k converges, so by the Weierstrass M-test ∑(k=0 to ∞) a_k(x-a)^k converges uniformly.

Could you tell me what do I need to do with connect with the [a-R+ε1, a+R] and [a-R+ε2, a+R]?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need the epsilon because the series might converge for a+R, but diverge for a-R. Hence the M-test actually fails on the interval [a-R,a+R] when comparing the series to the value at a+R

Office_Shredder said:
You need the epsilon because the series might converge for a+R, but diverge for a-R. Hence the M-test actually fails on the interval [a-R,a+R] when comparing the series to the value at a+R
Thank you. So here's my trying. Would you mind looking through if there's any problem with it? I also have problem with the -R in part b.

a. For R in (0, ∞), choose x in [a-R+ε1, a+R] with an ε1>0 so (x-a) <=R. Therefore:
|(a_k)(x-a)^k| <= |(a_k)(R^k)|
But since ∑(k=0 to ∞) (a_k)*R^k converges as given, by Weierstrass M-Test for uniform convergence => ∑(k=0 to ∞) a_k(x-a)^k converges uniformly on [a-R+ε1, a+R]

b. For R in (0, ∞), choose x in [a-R,a+R-ε2] with an ε1>0. With|x-a| <=R:
|(a_k)(x-a)^k| <= |(a_k)((R)^k)|
We know that (a_k)* (-R)^k converges only converges iff |(a_k)* (-R)^k| converges, which means (a_k)* (R)^k converges, so by Weierstrass theorem we also have ∑(k=0 to ∞) a_k(x-a)^k converges uniformly on [a-R, a+R-ε2].

Related to How Does Abel's Theorem Apply to Uniform Convergence?

1. What is the first step in proving a theorem?

The first step in proving a theorem is to carefully read and understand the statement of the theorem. This will help you identify any key terms, assumptions, or definitions that are necessary for the proof.

2. How do I approach a difficult theorem?

One approach to a difficult theorem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. You can also try looking for connections or patterns between the theorem and other theorems or concepts that you are more familiar with.

3. What if I get stuck while trying to prove a theorem?

If you get stuck while trying to prove a theorem, take a break and come back to it later. Sometimes stepping away from the problem can help you see it in a new light. You can also try discussing the theorem with a colleague or seeking help from a mentor or tutor.

4. Is it necessary to use complicated equations and formulas in a proof?

Not necessarily. While some theorems may require complex equations and formulas to prove, others can be proven using simpler logical arguments. It is important to understand the concepts and assumptions behind the theorem rather than just relying on equations.

5. How can I check if my proof is correct?

One way to check the correctness of your proof is to go through it step by step and see if each statement logically follows from the previous ones. You can also try explaining your proof to someone else and see if they can follow your reasoning. If you are still unsure, you can consult a textbook or ask for feedback from a teacher or colleague.