1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I see Infra-Red and Ultra Violet waves?

1. Sep 15, 2014 #1
    Hello physics community,

Im new here, and this is my first post.

Im searching the internet, looking for a way to see the infra-red waves and ultraviolet waves.
    I know I have to use a secondary way to look at these waves.

Its really a great help, if you can tell me few simple equipments , which I can make myself at home. And also the scientific equipments that I can use for this.

I know I sound primary, but im just trying to expand my viewing range and knowledge.

thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2014 #2
    Infrared can be viewed with an infrared camera. some handphones have this functionality. ultraviolet rays can be seen using

UV light is dangerous and can cause skin cancer so keep your distance...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Sep 15, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not only is UV damaging to the skin, it is not very healthy to have UV strike the eyes.

This article discusses the damage that UV exposure can cause to one's eyes and vision:

http://www.aoa.org/patients-and-public/caring-for-your-vision/uv-protection?sso=y

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Sep 15, 2014 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nonetheless, it is possible to survive the experience of walking in the garden in full sunlight - with plenty enough UV radiation for an appropriate camera / sensor to detect it. Many insects have UV sensitive vision and many flowers have UV reflective patterns to show where the nectaries are. Humans do not see these.
    A normal digital camera sensor is sensitive to IR and people used to remove the IR filter in older cameras and do IR photography (btw you can also get IR film). However, normal lens glass absorbs UV and you can't do the same trick with UV. You'd have to Google UV camera.

6. Sep 15, 2014 #5

fedaykin

Gold Member

7. Sep 16, 2014 #6
    thanks everyone, appriciate it.

8. Sep 16, 2014 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The fact that there are insects with UV vision could be due to the different optics (no lens of any thickness in a multiple eye). This would reduce the absorption of UV,, which would mean they could use the same light sensing chemistry as mammals (humans).

9. Sep 16, 2014 #8

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try pointing a TV remote control at the video camera on your mobile phone. Sometimes you can see the IR LEDs flashing or at least light up when buttons are pressed.

10. Sep 16, 2014 #9

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try YouTube for UV. There is at least one on there by someone that had a canon 600D modified to a full spectrum by removing an internal filter.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UrvViq2Y7OE

Not cheap option.

11. Sep 16, 2014 #10
  12. Sep 16, 2014 #11

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

13. Sep 16, 2014 #12

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I track a 248 nm UV laser path by using a simple business card. It has a coating that causes it to fluoresce when the light impinges on it.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook