How can I solve P(X>28.41) using the chi-squared distribution?

In summary, there are two approaches to solving this problem: using the gamma distribution and using the chi-squared distribution. The gamma distribution involves finding P(X>28.41) by summing the expected times of each car that passes, while the chi-squared distribution involves using the Markov property to calculate the probability of the 10th car arriving after 28.41 minutes.
lemonthree
I'm not quite sure how to solve the question with two approaches.

Let X be the time taken for the cars to arrive.

Given that 1 car passes every 2 mins, theta = 2.
We are interested in the 10th car that passes so alpha = 10.
Thus I know the distribution is Gamma~(theta=2,alpha=10)
I can solve this using the gamma distribution to find P(X>28.41). (Although the summation is from k= 0 to 9 which is pretty tedious)To relate the chi-squared in this case, r = 20 while theta = 2, but I don't see how I can solve P(X>28.41) because it goes back to the gamma distribution.

How do I solve this using the chi-squared distribution?

Attachments

• question.jpg
    question.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 50
Physics news on Phys.org
An alternate approach to solve this problem is to make use of the Markov property. Since we know that 1 car passes every 2 minutes, we can calculate the expected time for the 10th car to arrive by summing the expected times of each car that passes. That is,Expected Time for 10th Car = 2 + 4 + 6 + 8 + 10 + 12 + 14 + 16 + 18 + 20 = 110 minsNow, using the Markov property, we can calculate P(X > 28.41) as the probability of the 10th car arriving after 28.41 minutes, which is given by:P(X > 28.41) = 1 - P(X ≤ 28.41) = 1 - (28.41/110) = 0.7398

1. What is the Chi-squared link to gamma?

The Chi-squared link to gamma is a statistical method used to relate the mean and variance of a gamma distribution to the observed data through a chi-squared statistic. This method is commonly used in regression analysis and can provide insights into the relationship between variables.

2. How is the Chi-squared link to gamma calculated?

The Chi-squared link to gamma is calculated by taking the observed data and fitting it to a gamma distribution. This is done by determining the mean and variance of the data and then using these values to calculate a chi-squared statistic. This statistic is then used to determine the relationship between the variables.

3. What is the purpose of using the Chi-squared link to gamma?

The Chi-squared link to gamma is used to determine the strength and direction of the relationship between variables. It can also be used to make predictions about future data based on the observed data and the fitted gamma distribution.

4. What are the assumptions of using the Chi-squared link to gamma?

The Chi-squared link to gamma assumes that the data follows a gamma distribution, that the data is independent and identically distributed, and that the mean and variance of the data are related in a specific way. It also assumes that the data is continuous and that there are no outliers or influential points.

5. What are some limitations of using the Chi-squared link to gamma?

One limitation of using the Chi-squared link to gamma is that it assumes a linear relationship between the variables, which may not always be the case. Additionally, if the data does not follow a gamma distribution, the results may be inaccurate. It is also important to note that the Chi-squared link to gamma is a parametric method, meaning it relies on specific assumptions about the data, which may not always hold true in real-world situations.