How can I understand valence bond theory and VSEPR theory?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Frigus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bond Theory Vsepr
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 1K views
Frigus
Messages
337
Reaction score
163
I think these theory is made to match the experimental results because I watched videos from Khan academy, jg e.t.c all of them teaching in video is that how do we calculate hybridisation, sigma bonds, π bonds e.t.c and to me these these sources are best because most of the times they gives intuition but now in teaching these topic they are not giving intuition of the topics of valence bond theory,VSEPR e.t.c. can you please tell me how can I understand these to topics
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How can I understand valence bond theory and VSEPR theory

Work at it. And by "work" I mean "work harder than you have shown on other topics".

In the past, when people answer your question, you often immediately say you don't understand. It takes more time and effort than that. You have to put in the effort; we can't do it for you.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Dr_Nate and Frigus
Vanadium 50 said:
Work at it. And by "work" I mean "work harder than you have shown on other topics".

In the past, when people answer your question, you often immediately say you don't understand. It takes more time and effort than that. You have to put in the effort; we can't do it for you.
Sorry,
I now try to put more effort than earlier and will do more and more hardwork to succeed my goals.
But sometimes I got to much irritated and somehow sub consciously accept that I will not able to understand that topic than even after getting answer I think that I will not understand from that answer But now I ponder about the topics and get the point.
Now this time I posted this because the resources from which I study can't get that intuition that I got earlier so I posted this so I can know some other channels like 3blue1brown,Khan academy from experienced people like you but now I think I should keep studying from these channels because as you said I should put more effort myself not from the help of others. So I will try to build my concepts stronger on my own rather than help of any other resources.

Thanks

Hemant.
 
Hemant said:
Now this time I posted this because the resources from which I study can't get that intuition that I got earlier so I posted this so I can know some other channels like 3blue1brown,Khan academy from experienced people like you but now I think I should keep studying from these channels because as you said I should put more effort myself not from the help of others.
http://www.ilectureonline.com/lectures/subject/CHEMISTRY/12
 
Hemant said:
Sorry,
I now try to put more effort than earlier and will do more and more hardwork to succeed my goals.
But sometimes I got to much irritated and somehow sub consciously accept that I will not able to understand that topic than even after getting answer I think that I will not understand from that answer But now I ponder about the topics and get the point.
Now this time I posted this because the resources from which I study can't get that intuition that I got earlier so I posted this so I can know some other channels like 3blue1brown,Khan academy from experienced people like you but now I think I should keep studying from these channels because as you said I should put more effort myself not from the help of others. So I will try to build my concepts stronger on my own rather than help of any other resources.

Thanks

Hemant.
You should be aware that putting the time into something is not the same as hard work. Watching a few videos is fine to get a general awareness of something or maybe even your answer. But, often you must feel like you are putting in mental effort.

Whether a text or video you should try to summarize what you are learning. If you can't then you didn't learn it. When I was studying theorems and concepts, I used to copy my notes so that they were briefer and briefer. But, also for something like VSEPR you will then to work at many problems. Go away for a while come back and try the problems again.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Frigus