How can laser detuning excite an atom?

• I
  • Thread starter annaphys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom Laser
In summary, a laser detuning can still excite an atom due to the Doppler effect, where the atom's motion relative to the light source can make it resonant. This is achieved through the use of counterpropagating laser beams tuned slightly below an atomic absorption resonance. However, this results in a faster Rabi oscillation with lower amplitude, leading to a lower probability of finding the atom in the excited state. Additionally, the energy levels of the atom and the light field are not the only ones of interest, as the coupled system has its own eigenstates known as dressed states. These levels can also be affected by the presence of a strong electromagnetic field. Finally, it should be noted that most energy levels have a finite width
annaphys
From Wikipedia and other sources that I am reading, a laser detuning can excite an atom. However, for an atom to become excited its energy must be equal to the energy difference of two states. So how can laser detuning still excite an atom? The frequency from the laser would of course be near the frequency needed to excite an atom but this still goes against my seconds sentence.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
annaphys said:
From Wikipedia and other sources that I am reading, a laser detuning can excite an atom. However, for an atom to become excited its energy must be equal to the energy difference of two states. So how can laser detuning still excite an atom? The frequency from the laser would of course be near the frequency needed to excite an atom but this still goes against my seconds sentence.

Thanks in advance.
The Doppler effect. If the atom is moving relative to the light source then it may become resonant. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_molasses

In a simple one-dimensional version, an optical molasses is made with two counterpropagating laser beams, the frequency of which is tuned slightly below an atomic absorption resonance. As a result, a motion of an atom (or ion) in the direction of one of the beams will lead to a Doppler shift so that the absorption rate for the counterpropagating beam is increased, whereas the absorption rate for the opposite laser beam is reduced. Effectively there is a dissipative light force which is always directed opposite to the motion and therefore serves to reduce that motion.

Likes vanhees71 and berkeman
Thanks for the reply. My question comes from notes that discuss laser detuning in regards to rotating wave approximation. What relation does the Doppler effect have with RWA then? Or is the DE only an example?

annaphys said:
However, for an atom to become excited its energy must be equal to the energy difference of two states.

This is not really the case. As this topic is tagged with the term "Rabi oscillations", I guess this is what you are interested in. The photon energy must exactly equal the energy level separation in order to achieve deterministic excitation of the atom, which means Rabi oscillations that reach 100% probability of finding the atom in the excited state when performing a measurement. For detuned pumping you get a faster Rabi oscillation which, however, has a lower amplitude, so you do not get to 100% probability to find the atom in the excited state, but only lower numbers.

One should keep in mind that the eigenstates of interest in this case are NOT the bare energies of the atom and the light field, but the energies of the coupled system, the so called dressed states. In a nutshell, you take the matrix, where the atom and photon energies are on the diagonal and the interaction matrix elements coupling the states are on the off-diagonal and diagonalize this matrix. The resulting energies are the true eigenenergies of the coupled system and the corresponding modes are mixed light-matter modes. Microscopically, you can think of this in tems of the Autler-Townes or ac-Stark effect: The presence of a strong ac electromagnetic field (which means the laser light field) also changes the atom energy levels.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and Mentz114
While the answers above are good, I think they missed the main point, namely that most levels do not have a precise energy. All levels that can decay to lower energy states (so basically all of them except the ground state) have a width in energy due to that decay. A simple way to think about it is that the finite lifetime of an excited state corresponds to an uncertainty on the exact energy of the level (due to the time-energy uncertainty principle).

Likes vanhees71 and Mentz114
DrClaude said:
While the answers above are good, I think they missed the main point, namely that most levels do not have a precise energy.

Just for the record: I considered this reply as well, but as the OP explicitly used the tag "Rabi oscillations", I thought finite line widths are not the main point here. The OP may clarify this point, though.

1. How does laser detuning excite an atom?

Laser detuning is a process in which a laser beam is tuned to a specific frequency that matches the energy level of an atom. When the laser beam interacts with the atom, it transfers energy to the atom, causing it to become excited and move to a higher energy state.

2. What is the purpose of laser detuning in exciting an atom?

The purpose of laser detuning is to precisely control the energy transfer to the atom and ensure that it is excited to a specific energy level. This allows scientists to study and manipulate the behavior of the atom in a controlled manner.

3. How does the detuning of the laser affect the excitation of the atom?

The detuning of the laser affects the excitation of the atom by determining the amount of energy that is transferred to the atom. A laser that is perfectly tuned to the energy level of the atom will transfer all of its energy, while a detuned laser will only transfer a portion of its energy.

4. Can laser detuning be used to excite different energy levels of an atom?

Yes, laser detuning can be used to excite different energy levels of an atom. By adjusting the frequency of the laser, scientists can target specific energy levels and control the excitation process.

5. What are the applications of laser detuning in atom excitation?

Laser detuning is widely used in various fields of science, such as quantum mechanics, atomic physics, and spectroscopy. It allows scientists to study the behavior and properties of atoms, which has applications in areas such as materials science, chemistry, and technology development.