How Can Spontaneity Make Comedy More Entertaining?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Funny
In summary: I find slap sick rather mundane because it is so predictable, any thing that one can see the outcome is not funny to me, the spur of the moment comedy, the quick Witt is my comedy.dark, morbid & low-brow humour is my thing. the more offensive the better. :devil: i'll laugh at anything but there isn't much else that REALLY makes me laugh.I find slap sick rather mundane because it is so predictable, any thing that one can see the outcome is not funny to me, the spur of the moment comedy, the quick Witt is my comedy.In summary, Emo Phillips finds slapstick and predictable humour to be mundane. She prefers dry and witty humour. Chris Rock and
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I find slap sick rather mundane because it is so predictable, any thing that
one can see the outcome is not funny to me, the spur of the moment comedy, the quick Witt is my comedy.

Physics news on Phys.org
dark, morbid & low-brow humour is my thing. the more offensive the better. :devil: i'll laugh at anything but there isn't much else that REALLY makes me laugh.

Last edited:
wolram said:
one can see the outcome is not funny to me, the spur of the moment comedy, the quick Witt is my comedy.

IMO predictable humour can be pretty damn funny. For example I would find a video clip of a penguin sliding backward very slowly toward the edge of a cliff hilarious, for the very reason that I know exactly what is to happen, but the penguin doesn't.

In most cases though I find dry and witty humour the best.

Two words:

Emo Phillips

Americans have a different but simillar sense of humour to the UK, Canadians even more so, the Germans don't appear to do funny :smile:

Hows that...

I like anything but farce and slapstick, obviously being English absurd humour appeals to me a lot as well.

I like stuff that's un-PC, racial, and full of cursing. -something like Chris Rock, Eddy Murphy-ish.

I generally enjoy satire and surrealist comedy.

A lot of people say to me, 'You think it's really clever to be sarcastic don't you?'. And I say to them... 'No!'.

Of course that joke works better if I tell it using my voice.

Chi Meson said:
Two words:

Emo Phillips
Amen!

"So I said hey, sweet thing, want to come back to my place?" and she said "Do you have cable?" and I said "No, but the ropes should hold you."

"What did you get for Christmas? I got new underwear! ... Well, new to me."

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm not supposed to like slap-stick, but it makes me laugh just the same. Mel Brooks says (I changed it some): Tragedy is when I stub my toe, comedy is when you fall down the stairs. My favorite kind of humor is parody.

Last edited:
wolram said:

I agree, but I have a totally different type of humour. It's subtle and you have to be quick to understand it and get it. Those who get it all the time say I'm hilarious. Some people don't get it but still think I'm funny but don't really know why.

Just the other week a guy at work said I was hilarious. He commented on the things I say in "between" things. He said he doesn't get it right away most of the time, but he normally gets it a minute later.

It might sound useless to have humour that no one gets right away, but it's there and those who catch it... :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

I don't laugh at obvious stuff though. I also do have a "dumbed" down type of humour since not everyone gets it.

turbo-1 said:
Amen!

"So I said hey, sweet thing, want to come back to my place?" and she said "Do you have cable?" and I said "No, but the ropes should hold you."

I got my nephew a Batmobile for his birthday. But when I went to hang it over his bed, I realized one of the critters was still alive...

NatLamp humour:

1. Exploding toilets are funny.
2. Dead children are not funny.
3. Unless they're killed by exploding toilets.

Mitch Hedberg!

morphism said:
Mitch Hedberg!

:mad: i was going to say that. demetri martin is really good too

cyrusabdollahi said:
I like stuff that's un-PC, racial, and full of cursing. -something like Chris Rock, Eddy Murphy-ish.

yeah i thought eddie murphy mocking muhammed ali was hilarious :smile:

http://www.callahanonline.com/index.php" is my kind of guy!

harrass.gif
vaccuum.gif

& so is http://www.maledicta.org/" :biggrin:

The days are gone when skits like this one can be shown on TV. This is from the early days of Saturday Night Live. It has been pulled from youtube because the n word is now a no no.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3070404054444817529&q=chevy+chase+richard+prior&total=3&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Seeing how people are listing their faves I will push http://http://www.stewartlee.co.uk/" as my favourite ever comedian.

Kurdt said:
Seeing how people are listing their faves I will push http://http://www.stewartlee.co.uk/" as my favourite ever comedian.

Stewart Lee's fantastic. I love his delivery; very original without any crap goofisms. I assume you've seen his "stand up comedian" show?

Couperin said:
Stewart Lee's fantastic. I love his delivery; very original without any crap goofisms. I assume you've seen his "stand up comedian" show?

I have along with his 90's comedian and in August I'm going to the Edinburgh festival to see his new one :biggrin: His construction of jokes is superb and like you say combined with his delivery its a fantastic combination.

As far as slap stick and site gags, for me Benny Hill was king. With Benny's stick you didn't know what to expect next.

turbo-1 said:
Amen!

I woke up in the morning and went into the kitchen and my sister had made some eggs...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3080370870555042372&q=emo+phillips&total=72&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=9

I don't get emo's humor.

cyrusabdollahi said:
I don't get emo's humor.

How about Zach Galifianakis? The guy cracks me up.

I used to find Bill Hicks funny until I realized he was anti-everything, then he just got downright annoying.

edward said:
As far as slap stick and site gags, for me Benny Hill was king. With Benny's stick you didn't know what to expect next.

Please, please, not Benny Hill, he should go down in history as the most unfunny comedian.

turbo-1 said:
Amen!

:smile::smile:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I write funny comics for the school newspaper. It's definitely one of the best or the best. The newspaper illustrator absolutely loves it. Friends love it too.

I have some political stuff coming this year. It'll be hilarious. I just hope I don't get kicked out of school.

JasonRox said:
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I write funny comics for the school newspaper. It's definitely one of the best or the best. The newspaper illustrator absolutely loves it. Friends love it too.

I have some political stuff coming this year. It'll be hilarious. I just hope I don't get kicked out of school.

You should test your comedy on us first, politics are beyond me, but then i guess Brown came to late.

cyrusabdollahi said:
I don't get emo's humor.

Just insert some curse words, then you'll get it.

"my F****** sister made some m*****f****** eggs..." etc.

Emo Philips - lots of routines on YouTube.

turbo-1 said:
Emo Philips - lots of routines on YouTube.

That guy was painfully unfunny.

wolram said:
You should test your comedy on us first, politics are beyond me, but then i guess Brown came to late.

One is school related and the other is provincially related and both are inside jokes.

Both of them would be very insulting to both politicians. I can't imagine what their reaction would be if they read it.

I'll let you know the provincial one. It's currently not in a humour type way right now, but you'll get the jist of it. Our prime minister put in place a bill that would we a substantial reduction in CO2 emissions, but not until the year 2050. So, my character after "investigating" the other politician (the school one where the president passed a dumb rule) decided to "investigate" why our prime minister passed a dumb bill. What's going to happen is that he's going to be like...

"I did some research to try and understand why such a person would pass such a dumb bill. Then I found the date of birth of Harper (prime minister)."

Other character... "What does that have to do with anything?"

"Well, he was born in 1959 and the bill does not have any real impact until the year 2050."

I will most like have different wordings to help point to the problem a bit more. I'm assuming you understand what I'm pointing at. It would be a wicked burn. Because when people were talking about this bill, no ever mentionned how old he would be then. So obviously he (Harper) won't give a ****.

Sounds good to me :smile:

<h2>1. What is the scientific explanation for why we find certain things funny?</h2><p>There isn't one definitive answer to this question, as humor is a complex and subjective concept. However, some theories suggest that we find things funny because they violate our expectations, contain elements of surprise or incongruity, or allow us to feel a sense of superiority over the situation or characters.</p><h2>2. Is there a specific part of the brain responsible for processing humor?</h2><p>While there isn't one specific region of the brain dedicated solely to humor, studies have shown that several areas of the brain are involved in processing and experiencing humor. These include the prefrontal cortex, the temporal lobe, and the limbic system.</p><h2>3. Can humor be learned or is it purely innate?</h2><p>Both nature and nurture play a role in our sense of humor. While some people may have a natural inclination towards humor, it can also be developed and refined through exposure to different types of comedy and social interactions.</p><h2>4. Are there cultural differences in what is considered funny?</h2><p>Absolutely. Humor is heavily influenced by cultural norms, values, and beliefs. What may be considered funny in one culture may not translate to another, and certain types of humor may be more prevalent in certain cultures.</p><h2>5. Can humor be used as a coping mechanism for difficult situations?</h2><p>Yes, humor can serve as a coping mechanism for many people in difficult or stressful situations. It can help to reduce tension, provide a sense of control, and allow for a different perspective on the situation. However, it is important to be mindful of the type and timing of humor used, as it may not be appropriate in all situations.</p>

Related to How Can Spontaneity Make Comedy More Entertaining?

1. What is the scientific explanation for why we find certain things funny?

There isn't one definitive answer to this question, as humor is a complex and subjective concept. However, some theories suggest that we find things funny because they violate our expectations, contain elements of surprise or incongruity, or allow us to feel a sense of superiority over the situation or characters.

2. Is there a specific part of the brain responsible for processing humor?

While there isn't one specific region of the brain dedicated solely to humor, studies have shown that several areas of the brain are involved in processing and experiencing humor. These include the prefrontal cortex, the temporal lobe, and the limbic system.

3. Can humor be learned or is it purely innate?

Both nature and nurture play a role in our sense of humor. While some people may have a natural inclination towards humor, it can also be developed and refined through exposure to different types of comedy and social interactions.

4. Are there cultural differences in what is considered funny?

Absolutely. Humor is heavily influenced by cultural norms, values, and beliefs. What may be considered funny in one culture may not translate to another, and certain types of humor may be more prevalent in certain cultures.

5. Can humor be used as a coping mechanism for difficult situations?

Yes, humor can serve as a coping mechanism for many people in difficult or stressful situations. It can help to reduce tension, provide a sense of control, and allow for a different perspective on the situation. However, it is important to be mindful of the type and timing of humor used, as it may not be appropriate in all situations.