How can the natural frequency of a stationary cylinder be determined?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Ry122
Messages
563
Reaction score
2
In this problem I guess I would first need to model the position of the cylinder with an equation and from that solve for the natural frequency. But how do I go about doing this when the object's default position is stationary?


Untitled.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the force on the cylinder when it is displaced from its equilibrium position by a distance [itex]y[/itex] (up or down)?
 
It is equal to the weight of the water displaced I believe.
But how can I form an equation of motion from this?
 
Ry122 said:
It is equal to the weight of the water displaced I believe.

There are two forces acting on the cylinder at any given time:

(1) The downward force of gravity

(2) The buoyancy force (pressure) exerted by the water

Find a mathematical expression for the net force on the cylinder when it is displaced from equilibrium by a distance [itex]y[/itex]

But how can I form an equation of motion from this?

Newton's 2nd Law maybe?:wink: