How can this discrepancy be explained?

• Thread starter vze3bbyp
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a discrepancy in the numerical calculation of an integral and series that are supposed to describe the same thing. There is confusion around the variables used and their differences, as well as the definition of E(t) not being a function that depends on t. It is suggested to use E(T) instead, where T is a variable before being defined as the period. Additionally, there is a correction to replace the word 'integral' with 'series' in the last paragraph.
vze3bbyp
@All,

I've attached a short text demonstrating a discrepancy in the numerical calculation of an integral and series supposed to describe the same thing. What are your thoughts? What might this discrepancy be due to?

Attachments

• text.pdf
    149.7 KB · Views: 232
Physics news on Phys.org
It's kind of confusing to read you calculation of the derivative, because your variables keep changing names. At one point you have E(t) when you mean E(T), you have these functions Iin and Vin whose difference from I and V is unclear (if there is one).

Then you say capital T is the period, which would seem to indicate that it's a constant and not a variable. I can't really figure out what your function is

Iin and Vin and I and V are the same quantities.

And what about the fact that the definition of E(t) is not a function that actually depends on t? I would assume that it was intended to read E(T) but you later define T to be the period of your voltage so that wouldn't be a function either

Correct, it's E(T) where, T, before defining it as the period is a variable. I should've started with [tex]E(\tau) = \int_0^\tau I_{in}V_{in} dt [/tex] instead.

Another correction. Please replace the word 'integral' with the word 'series' in the following part of the last paragraph:

For values of F < 0 not only the integral tends towards zero but after a certain F it becomes negative. The opposite is observed when F > 0. In this case the integral becomes more and more positive with the increase of F.

1. How can this discrepancy be explained?

There are many possible explanations for a discrepancy in data or results. Some common reasons include measurement error, flawed methodology, or unexpected variables that were not accounted for.

2. Can the discrepancy be attributed to human error?

Human error is always a possibility, especially in scientific studies. It is important to carefully review and double-check all steps and procedures to ensure accuracy and minimize the potential for human error.

3. Are there any external factors that could have influenced the results?

External factors, such as environmental conditions or outside influences, can sometimes affect the outcome of a study. It is important to consider and account for these factors in the research design and analysis.

4. Could the discrepancy be due to a faulty or unreliable instrument?

Instruments or equipment used in scientific studies can sometimes be faulty or unreliable, leading to discrepancies in data. It is important to regularly calibrate and maintain instruments to ensure accuracy in results.

5. What steps can be taken to address and resolve the discrepancy?

To address a discrepancy, it is important to carefully review and analyze the data, as well as consider possible causes and solutions. This may involve repeating experiments, adjusting methodologies, or seeking outside expertise. Collaboration and critical thinking are key to resolving discrepancies in scientific research.