How can this laser project a point in three-dimensional space?

In summary, the laser pointer at the Los Alamos National Laboratory is able to control the z-axis with the slider because there is a previous thread by someone else which was replied with something like plasma ball stuff.
univeruser
See what I mean http://www.lanl.gov/orgs/tt/pdf/techs/3dlaser_pointer.pdf". Actually, coming to the point, how is this laser pointer at the Los Alamos National Laboratory able to control the z-axis with the slider?

There was a previous thread by someone else which was replied with something like plasma ball stuff. I've heard of that technology which actuates the focal length of the laser to heat air at the point to make luminous plasma. But the LANL technology seems to be different.

I'd be obliged to know the technology thet goes behind the 3D projection in the pointer.

P.S. I just want to know how it works. I won't be stealing license rights from LANL. It's just a matter of learning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Please! I'm like waiting three days and not a single response!

If you don't know the answer or won't give it here, atleast give me a "No!" message or such.

P.S. I'm in no hurry, but I kinda am getting frustrated. I hope this post didn't come too rude on you people.

Sorry for that.

i think about camera looking on screen to obtain x,y coordinates.
coordinate z we have from slaider embeded in pointer.
then point is displayed by software
(I'm sorry, but I never learned English)

I know, but how is it able to control the z-axis with the slider? With lenses?

like mice whell

LANL has a very advanced 3D projection technology (RAVE, Powerwall). I understand the so-called 3D laser pointers are only to be used within these facilities (theatre settings).

What Xitami is saying is that the pointer could be sending some sort of communication signal to the 3D projection apparatus, in which case the projection apparatus would actually be displaying the red ball. The observation of it coming from the laser, in this case, would be an illusion.

KingNothing said:
What Xitami is saying is that the pointer could be sending some sort of communication signal to the 3D projection apparatus, in which case the projection apparatus would actually be displaying the red ball. The observation of it coming from the laser, in this case, would be an illusion.

This makes the most sense to me. It's like the whole "Space pen vs pencil" idea. Why complicate something by making a laser that actually goes 3-D (which, don't get me wrong, would be really cool to find easier and less expensive ways of doing this), and instead have a sensor in your laser tell a 3-D projector where to project something.

The end result is the same, except it's cheaper for the company, and has the large constraint of only being used in certain labs.

Nope, I was talking true 3-dimensional projection. Just think, if it was possible to like stop a beam of light (laser in this case) in midair, if you combine this with a laser projector, it could prove to be a vital replacement for holography (i.e. the laser will scan depth, i.e. z-axis, with the LANL technology -- and x- and y-axis with a MEMS micromirror like a CRT TV) without the extensive mathematic calculations that go into generating holographic patterns with the Fourier algorithm.

So...?

Xitamani is right, the "pen" just send to the computer responsible to the projection where it is pointing and how much of it's slid is pressed, it interprets the data and creates one image of the beam.

Light can be stopped (or close) it was made in lab usig (if my memory don't fails) super cooled xenon gas, but remember, to you actually see one img, the light need to me moving, or it don't reaches your cornea.

If you could magically stop a laser after a certain distance we'd have invented lightsabers by now.

1. How does a laser project a point in three-dimensional space?

A laser projects a point in three-dimensional space by using a focused beam of light to create a single point of light on a surface. The laser beam is directed through a series of mirrors and lenses to ensure its accuracy and precision in projecting the point in the desired location.

2. What technology is used in a laser to project a point in three-dimensional space?

The technology used in a laser to project a point in three-dimensional space is called laser scanning. This involves using a laser beam to scan a surface and create a point in a specific location on that surface. The laser beam is controlled by a computer, which determines the position and movement of the point being projected.

3. How is the accuracy of a laser point projection ensured?

The accuracy of a laser point projection is ensured through the use of precise mirrors and lenses that control the direction and focus of the laser beam. Additionally, advanced computer software is used to calculate and adjust the position of the point being projected in real-time, ensuring high levels of accuracy and precision.

4. What is the purpose of projecting a point in three-dimensional space using a laser?

The purpose of projecting a point in three-dimensional space using a laser is to create a visual reference point for various applications such as surveying, 3D modeling, and industrial measurement. The laser point can be used as a precise location marker for other equipment or as a reference for measurements.

5. Can a laser project multiple points in three-dimensional space simultaneously?

Yes, advanced laser technology allows for the projection of multiple points in three-dimensional space simultaneously. This is achieved through the use of multiple laser beams and precise control of their movements. This capability is particularly useful in applications such as 3D scanning and mapping.

Back