How can you prove that if AB = AC and A is nonsingular, then B = C?

• Thread starter hkus10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, if AB = AC and A is nonsingular, then B = C. Similarly, if A is nonsingular and AB = 0 for an n x n matrix B, then B = 0. In addition, if A is nonsingular, then the only solution for the homogenous system Ax=0 is the trivial one, x=0. Finally, if A is symmetric and nonsingular, then A^-1 is also symmetric.
hkus10
1) show that if AB = AC and A is nonsingular, then B = C.

2) show that if A is nonsingular and AB = 0 for an n x n matrix B, then B = 0.

3) Consider the homogenous system Ax=0, where A is n x n. If A is nonsingular, show that the only solution is the trivial one, x=0.

4) Prove that if A is symmetric and nonsingular, then A^-1 is symmetric.

Please help and show all your work or at least give me some directions!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What does your textbook say "nonsingular" means for a matrix? What does your textbook say about "invertible"?

HallsofIvy said:
What does your textbook say "nonsingular" means for a matrix? What does your textbook say about "invertible"?

An n x n matrix A is called nonsingular, or invertible, if there exists an n x n matrix B such that AB = BA = In; such a B is called inverse of A.

hkus10 said:
An n x n matrix A is called nonsingular, or invertible, if there exists an n x n matrix B such that AB = BA = In; such a B is called inverse of A.

Ok, use that. You usually write the inverse of A as A^(-1). Multiply both sides of AB=AC by A^(-1).

Related to How can you prove that if AB = AC and A is nonsingular, then B = C?

1. What is a diagonal matrix?

A diagonal matrix is a special type of matrix where all the elements outside the main diagonal (the diagonal from the top left to the bottom right) are zero. The main diagonal elements can be any non-zero values.

2. How is an identity matrix defined?

An identity matrix is a square matrix with all the elements on the main diagonal equal to 1 and all other elements equal to 0. It is denoted by the symbol I and has the property that when multiplied with any other matrix, the result is the same matrix.

3. What is a symmetric matrix?

A symmetric matrix is a square matrix where the elements are symmetric about the main diagonal, meaning that the element at row i and column j is equal to the element at row j and column i. It is denoted by the symbol S and has the property that ST = S.

4. How is a skew-symmetric matrix defined?

A skew-symmetric matrix is a square matrix where the elements are symmetric about the main diagonal, but with opposite signs. This means that the element at row i and column j is equal to the negative of the element at row j and column i. It is denoted by the symbol A and has the property that AT = -A.

5. What is a singular matrix?

A singular matrix is a square matrix with a determinant of 0. This means that the matrix is not invertible and does not have a unique solution to a system of linear equations. Singular matrices are also known as degenerate matrices.