Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can ZnO be well-dispersed in Poly(MMA-co-AA) in IPA solvent ?

1. Jun 26, 2008 #1
    First, using Isopropyl alcohol as the solvent, I synthesized the copolymer by Methyl methacrylate and Acrylic acid.

After copolymerization, at 70 C-degree, the copolymer dissolved into IPA. Afterward, I added ZnO powder into the solution with vigorous agitation. While the system got back to room-temp, I had ZnO/Poly(MMA-co-AA) composite precipitated at bottom.

The problem is ~ ZnO particles couldn't well-dispersed in copolymer <the ZnO/Poly(MMA-co-AA) composite wasn't transparent, and ZnO particle size was around 80 nm.>

It seemed that ZnO doesn't disperse in IPA, so I couldn't make ZnO well-dispersed into copolymer at blending process, while copolymer and IPA were totally transparent solution at 70C.

So, how can I make ZnO well-dispersed in copolymer by blending ? Change the solvent from IPA ?! (but the solvent chosen has to be suitable for the copolymerization of MMA & AA.)
    Or, get ZnO surface modified ?!

this my headache ~ thanks anyway !!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Was the ZnO powder you used a nano-sized zinc oxide? You should formulate the nano ZnO in an alcoholic solvent prior to blending it with the copolymer. I have seen totally clear dispersions of ZnO in ethanol at loadings of 20%.
  4. Aug 9, 2008 #3
    l'm new in this forum..........
    how about u treat ur znO with something, which it can bridge ur polymer coil..
    iby using suspension reaction.......
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?