1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can ZnO be well-dispersed in Poly(MMA-co-AA) in IPA solvent ?

1. Jun 26, 2008 #1
    First, using Isopropyl alcohol as the solvent, I synthesized the copolymer by Methyl methacrylate and Acrylic acid.

After copolymerization, at 70 C-degree, the copolymer dissolved into IPA. Afterward, I added ZnO powder into the solution with vigorous agitation. While the system got back to room-temp, I had ZnO/Poly(MMA-co-AA) composite precipitated at bottom.

The problem is ~ ZnO particles couldn't well-dispersed in copolymer <the ZnO/Poly(MMA-co-AA) composite wasn't transparent, and ZnO particle size was around 80 nm.>

It seemed that ZnO doesn't disperse in IPA, so I couldn't make ZnO well-dispersed into copolymer at blending process, while copolymer and IPA were totally transparent solution at 70C.

So, how can I make ZnO well-dispersed in copolymer by blending ? Change the solvent from IPA ?! (but the solvent chosen has to be suitable for the copolymerization of MMA & AA.)
    Or, get ZnO surface modified ?!

this my headache ~ thanks anyway !!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2008 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Was the ZnO powder you used a nano-sized zinc oxide? You should formulate the nano ZnO in an alcoholic solvent prior to blending it with the copolymer. I have seen totally clear dispersions of ZnO in ethanol at loadings of 20%.

4. Aug 9, 2008 #3
    halo
    l'm new in this forum..........
    how about u treat ur znO with something, which it can bridge ur polymer coil..
    iby using suspension reaction.......

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?