How come the trend doesn't stand for Barium to Radium

• Thread starter Ed Aboud
  • Start date
In summary, the trend in ionization energies decreasing down a group does not apply to Barium to Radium. This is due to the presence of extra elements in the Lanthanide series and the appearance of F orbitals in between the pairs of elements. Specifically, the f orbitals are less effective at shielding compared to d and p orbitals, resulting in a higher ionization energy for Radium.
Ed Aboud
The trend in ionization energies going down a group is that it decreases between each element. How come the trend doesn't stand for Barium to Radium. Barium has an ionization energy of 502 kilojoules per mole but Radium has an ionization energy of 510 kilojoules per mole. Why is this?
Thanks for any help.

edit:
Just noticed it occurs for La to Ac, Mo to W, Tc to Re, Ru to Os, Rh to Ir, Pd to Pt, Ag to Au, Cd to Hg, In to Tl, Sn to Pb as well.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'd guess it has to do either with the appearance of all those extra elements in the Lanthanide series, or with the appearance of F orbitals, in between the pairs of elements you mention.

But more specifically, why this would cause a higher I.E. I don't know.

Redbelly98 said:
I'd guess it has to do either with the appearance of all those extra elements in the Lanthanide series, or with the appearance of F orbitals, in between the pairs of elements you mention.

But more specifically, why this would cause a higher I.E. I don't know.

It is because f orbitals are less effective at shielding than d orbitals which are less effective than p and ultimately s orbitals. The nuclear charge increases but the shielding effect is lessened resulting in a greater ionization energy.

Likes Astronuc
Ah makes sense now. Thanks for the help.

1. Why do Barium and Radium have different trends?

The trend in the periodic table is determined by the atomic structure and properties of each element. Barium and Radium have different numbers of protons, electrons, and neutrons, which result in different chemical and physical properties. This is why they have different trends.

2. What factors contribute to the trend in the periodic table?

The trend in the periodic table is influenced by various factors such as atomic size, electronegativity, ionization energy, and electron affinity. These factors are determined by the number of protons, electrons, and neutrons in an element's atom.

3. Is it possible for the trend to change from Barium to Radium?

No, the trend in the periodic table is based on the fundamental properties of elements and it cannot change from one element to another. Barium and Radium will always have different trends due to their unique atomic structures.

4. How does the trend from Barium to Radium affect their reactivity?

The trend from Barium to Radium does not directly affect their reactivity. However, the trend can give us information about the elements' reactivity, as elements with similar trends tend to have similar reactivity. In this case, both Barium and Radium are highly reactive and have a strong tendency to lose electrons.

5. Can the trend in the periodic table help predict the properties of new elements?

Yes, the trend in the periodic table can be used to predict the properties of new elements. By analyzing the trends of existing elements, scientists can make educated guesses about the properties of new elements that have not yet been discovered. This has been proven successful in the past when new elements were discovered and their properties matched the predicted trends.