Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How come the trend doesn't stand for Barium to Radium

1. May 27, 2008 #1
    The trend in ionization energies going down a group is that it decreases between each element. How come the trend doesn't stand for Barium to Radium. Barium has an ionization energy of 502 kilojoules per mole but Radium has an ionization energy of 510 kilojoules per mole. Why is this?
    Thanks for any help.

Just noticed it occurs for La to Ac, Mo to W, Tc to Re, Ru to Os, Rh to Ir, Pd to Pt, Ag to Au, Cd to Hg, In to Tl, Sn to Pb as well.
    Last edited: May 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd guess it has to do either with the appearance of all those extra elements in the Lanthanide series, or with the appearance of F orbitals, in between the pairs of elements you mention.

But more specifically, why this would cause a higher I.E. I don't know.
  4. May 28, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is because f orbitals are less effective at shielding than d orbitals which are less effective than p and ultimately s orbitals. The nuclear charge increases but the shielding effect is lessened resulting in a greater ionization energy.
  5. May 28, 2008 #4
    Ah makes sense now. Thanks for the help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?