1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How could I get Bachelor degree in physics?

  1. Oct 29, 2012 #1
    Hi, I'm a computer science student (2nd year). and I LOVE physics and hope to get a bachelor degree in it. because It's very hard to be a physics and computer science student at the same time, I decided to study physics when i'm not busy in studying computer science. So, is there any institute, university, college or any academy that could give a bachelor in physics without being a student in it?
    In other words, I want to take a comprehensive physics exam and then have a bachelor in physics as I'm real physics undergraduate.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2012 #2
    I'm not aware of any such exam, and I think that you are probably underestimating the level of difficulty in upper-division physics courses. To self teach up through a Bachelor's degree level would be quite an astounding feat.

    In my department, physics majors need to take (at a bare minimum) the Intro Sequence, Waves and Optics, Modern Physics, Mechanics II, E&M II, Quantum I, II and III, Statistical Mechanics, and two advanced Labs. Math requirements are Diff EQ, Advanced Calc II, and 3 additional upper-division math courses.

    The two solutions, if you really want a physics degree, are:
    1) Switch into physics, or double major. I imagine a double major would take quite some time to complete, so that may not be feasible for you.

    2) I'm actually a Computational Physics major. If your school has multiple physics degree plans, they might have something similar that might interest you. The requirements for me are basically the above listed Physics courses, minus one of the labs and Quantum III, but plus a Computational Physics course and an Electronic Techniques course. I have to take 4 core computation/programming classes. The upper-division math requirement is changed to 2 upper-division "Math or Scientific Computation" courses. Since your only a 2nd year student, you could transfer into a program like this (at your school or maybe even another) and likely still graduate on time or close to it.

    Edit: I should have mentioned that I believe that anyone can take the Physics GRE subject test. Unless you wanted to apply to grad school though, I am not sure it would benefit you substantially, other than serving as proof of your knowledge. See:http://www.ets.org/gre/subject/about/content/physics
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  4. Oct 30, 2012 #3
    Thank you very much bossman27 ^_^... You really gave very useful information.

    Isn't there any one that want to give further info??
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  5. Oct 30, 2012 #4
    No reputable school would give a degree purely for completing a comprehensive exam. No exam is equivalent to four years of classwork, sorry.

    (At best, you *might* be able to place out of a few lower division courses.)
  6. Oct 30, 2012 #5
    Defo not in physics
    Labs is like a quarter of the degree, not to mention the final research project
  7. Oct 30, 2012 #6
    If you plan on studying physics in your spare time to the extent that you have the same knowledge as someone with a BS degree, why not simply enroll in a physics BS program?

    It seems that you'd like to get the same credentials (a BS) without putting in the same amount of work (by studying in your "spare time") - which isn't how it works.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook