How could I get Bachelor degree in physics?

In summary, the individual is a computer science student who loves physics and wants to obtain a bachelor's degree in it. However, they find it challenging to study both subjects simultaneously, so they plan to focus on physics when they are not busy with computer science. They are inquiring about the possibility of obtaining a bachelor's degree in physics without being enrolled in a program, but this is not a feasible option as it would require completing a comprehensive exam that is not equivalent to four years of coursework. They are also considering switching to a double major or a program in computational physics. However, it is not advisable to attempt self-teaching a bachelor's degree in physics as it is a rigorous and demanding field of study.
ultrasmart
Hi, I'm a computer science student (2nd year). and I LOVE physics and hope to get a bachelor degree in it. because It's very hard to be a physics and computer science student at the same time, I decided to study physics when I'm not busy in studying computer science. So, is there any institute, university, college or any academy that could give a bachelor in physics without being a student in it?
In other words, I want to take a comprehensive physics exam and then have a bachelor in physics as I'm real physics undergraduate.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not aware of any such exam, and I think that you are probably underestimating the level of difficulty in upper-division physics courses. To self teach up through a Bachelor's degree level would be quite an astounding feat.

In my department, physics majors need to take (at a bare minimum) the Intro Sequence, Waves and Optics, Modern Physics, Mechanics II, E&M II, Quantum I, II and III, Statistical Mechanics, and two advanced Labs. Math requirements are Diff EQ, Advanced Calc II, and 3 additional upper-division math courses.

The two solutions, if you really want a physics degree, are:
1) Switch into physics, or double major. I imagine a double major would take quite some time to complete, so that may not be feasible for you.

2) I'm actually a Computational Physics major. If your school has multiple physics degree plans, they might have something similar that might interest you. The requirements for me are basically the above listed Physics courses, minus one of the labs and Quantum III, but plus a Computational Physics course and an Electronic Techniques course. I have to take 4 core computation/programming classes. The upper-division math requirement is changed to 2 upper-division "Math or Scientific Computation" courses. Since your only a 2nd year student, you could transfer into a program like this (at your school or maybe even another) and likely still graduate on time or close to it.

Edit: I should have mentioned that I believe that anyone can take the Physics GRE subject test. Unless you wanted to apply to grad school though, I am not sure it would benefit you substantially, other than serving as proof of your knowledge. See:http://www.ets.org/gre/subject/about/content/physics

Last edited:
Thank you very much bossman27 ^_^... You really gave very useful information.

Isn't there anyone that want to give further info??

Last edited:
ultrasmart said:
So, is there any institute, university, college or any academy that could give a bachelor in physics without being a student in it?
In other words, I want to take a comprehensive physics exam and then have a bachelor in physics as I'm real physics undergraduate.

No reputable school would give a degree purely for completing a comprehensive exam. No exam is equivalent to four years of classwork, sorry.

(At best, you *might* be able to place out of a few lower division courses.)

Defo not in physics
Labs is like a quarter of the degree, not to mention the final research project

ultrasmart said:
because It's very hard to be a physics and computer science student at the same time, I decided to study physics when I'm not busy in studying computer science.

If you plan on studying physics in your spare time to the extent that you have the same knowledge as someone with a BS degree, why not simply enroll in a physics BS program?

It seems that you'd like to get the same credentials (a BS) without putting in the same amount of work (by studying in your "spare time") - which isn't how it works.

1. How long does it take to earn a Bachelor's degree in physics?

On average, it takes four years to earn a Bachelor's degree in physics. However, the length of time may vary depending on factors such as course load, prerequisites, and any breaks or interruptions in studies.

2. What courses are required to earn a Bachelor's degree in physics?

The specific courses required may vary between universities, but generally, students pursuing a Bachelor's degree in physics will take courses in calculus, mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics, among others. Some programs may also require courses in computer science, chemistry, and biology.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to earn a Bachelor's degree in physics?

Yes, a strong foundation in math is essential for success in a physics program. Courses in calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra are typically required for a Bachelor's degree in physics, and advanced math skills are necessary for understanding and solving complex physics problems.

4. Are there any career opportunities for those with a Bachelor's degree in physics?

Yes, there are many career opportunities for those with a Bachelor's degree in physics. Some common career paths include research, teaching, engineering, data analysis, and technology. Many graduates also go on to pursue graduate studies in physics or related fields.

5. Can I earn a Bachelor's degree in physics online?

Yes, there are some universities that offer online programs for earning a Bachelor's degree in physics. However, it is important to note that these programs may have some in-person requirements, such as labs or exams. It is also important to ensure that the online program is accredited and meets the same standards as an on-campus program.