How did Newton derive his law of gravity?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 10K views
hover
Messages
342
Reaction score
0
For some reason I have been extremely curious of how Newton derived his mathematical law for gravitation. You know

[tex]F= \frac{GMm}{r^2}[/tex]

So the first thing I did before i posted this was search Google and I foundhttp://www.relativitycalculator.com/Newton_Universal_Gravity_Law.shtml" . It talks about a possible derivation of how Newton could have derived his law of gravity. It looks pretty good and I understand most of it BUT there is one part I don't understand. There is one part in the derivation that looks like this.

[tex]\frac{C}{M}=\frac{c}{m}=\frac{k}{4\pi}[/tex]

In this situation k is the gravitational constant and 4pi is... 4pi. My question is WHERE did this k/(4pi) come from? Why set these two equations equal to k/(4pi)? Can someone tell me where this k/(4pi) came from??

Thanks for your responce :D
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, get rid of it and see what happens!

[tex]\frac{C}{M}=\frac{c}{m}=k[/tex]
then
[tex]C = kM, c=km[/tex]
[tex]f^2 = f*f' = m\frac{4\pi^2C}{r^2}M\frac{4\pi^2c}{r^2}[/tex]
[tex]= m\frac{4\pi^2kM}{r^2}M\frac{4\pi^2km}{r^2}[/tex]
[tex]= 16\pi^4k^2\frac{M^2m^2}{r^4}[/tex]

[tex]f = 4\pi^2k\frac{Mm}{r^2}[/tex]

So you get the same result but with the unnecessary constant of [tex]4\pi^2[/tex] in front, so they defined k in a way that eliminates that constant..

Of course, if you want to, you could also just say [tex]G = 4\pi^2k[/tex].