Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about the Derivation of the Gravitational Law

1. Dec 28, 2014 #1
    The derivation of the law have been put up in the forums but I have a question regarding its derivation.

I understood everything from the assumptions to the application of Newton's Third Law, but I got stocked at this step:

[tex] \frac{m}{k} = \frac{M}{k'} [/tex].

This is similar to

[tex] \frac{C}{M} = \frac{c}{m} = \frac{k}{4 \pi^2} [/tex]

at this site, http://www.relativitycalculator.com/Newton_Universal_Gravity_Law.shtml.

According to the same site, the next step requires the force to be squared. Why is this so? Is it merely to acquire the force ##F## between the two bodies? Aren't there any other ways to calculate the force other than multiplication?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2014 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

It's just a convenient algebra trick to get both ##m## and ##M## into the equation for ##f##. We have ##f=f'## so we can multiply both sides of that equation by ##f## to get one equation that can be solved for ##f## in terms of ##k##, ##m##, and ##M##.

4. Dec 29, 2014 #3
    Alright. Thank you for your help. :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook