How did you arrive at this expression?

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the equation [A,B^n] = nB^{n-1}[A,B] using induction, with the given information that [[A,B],B] = 0. The person has attempted a solution but is stuck and asks for help.
carvas
1. Prove that [tex] [A,B^n] = nB^{n-1}[A,B] [/tex]

Given that: [tex] [[A,B],B] = 0 [/tex]

My Atempt to resolution

We can write that:
[tex] [[A,B],B] = [A,B]B-B[A,B] = 0 [/tex]

So we get that: [tex] [A,B]B = B[A,B] [/tex]

After some working several expansions, and considering that [tex] [X,YZ] = Y[X,Z] + [X,Y]Z [/tex]

I arrived at this expression:

[tex] [A,B^n] = B^{n-1}[A,B]+B^{n-2}[A,B]+[A,B^{n-2}]B^2 [/tex]

But from here I'm a bit lost on how to get the desired result.
So, could anyone help me?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Prove it using induction.

yes, I've tried that, but i can't get to the desired result...

could you help me?

thx again

Show us what you have so far.

what i have is the last expression in my first post.
so, by induction, and starting from this expression, i cannot get what i want to prove.

Do you know how to do a proof by induction?

carvas said:
After some working several expansions, and considering that [tex] [X,YZ] = Y[X,Z] + [X,Y]Z [/tex]

I arrived at this expression:

[tex] [A,B^n] = B^{n-1}[A,B]+B^{n-2}[A,B]+[A,B^{n-2}]B^2 [/tex]
This result contradicts the formula you say that you're using. (Think X=A, Y=Bn-2, Z=B2).

1. What is commutator algebra?

Commutator algebra is a mathematical framework used to analyze and manipulate the commutators of operators. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to study the properties of physical systems.

2. What is a commutator?

A commutator is a mathematical operation that measures the lack of commutativity between two operators. It is defined as the difference between the product of the two operators and the product of the same operators in reverse order.

3. Why is commutator algebra important?

Commutator algebra is important because it allows us to determine the properties of a system by analyzing the commutators of its operators. It also helps us to solve complex problems in quantum mechanics and other fields of science.

4. How do you prove a commutator algebra identity?

The most common way to prove a commutator algebra identity is by using the properties of commutators and the rules of algebra. This involves expanding the expression and rearranging terms until it matches the desired identity.

5. What are some applications of commutator algebra?

Commutator algebra has many applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics. It is used to study the behavior of particles, analyze the properties of physical systems, and solve equations in quantum mechanics. It is also applied in other fields such as engineering, chemistry, and computer science.