1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How difficult to build a DIY Lithium Ion Battery Charger?

1. Sep 27, 2009 #1
    Not asking for a schematic, more a notion of roughly how challenging this will be.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2009 #2
    I read a bit on wikipedia, and it doesn't seem that hard. You charge with a constant current which depends on the battery type until you hit a certain voltage according to the manufacturer's specs around 4.2V per cell, which you hold until there is almost no more current. Does that sound complicated to you? I am sure that there are already ICs available for common Li-battery types.

4. Sep 29, 2009 #3
    National has a chip. Look up National Semiconductor’s LM3622 Li-Ion
    Battery Charger Controller chip. See also
    http://www.national.com/appbriefs/files/AppBrief101.pdf [Broken]
    for a USB-based lithium ion battery charger circuit.
    Bob S

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Sep 30, 2009 #4
    Interesting thanks. With the chip it seems easy enough.

6. Oct 1, 2009 #5
    And I would note that you can buy LI Ion batteries on the internet that have a charging/protection circuit built into the end of the battery (I think they are AA cells) which simplifies charging circuits.

7. Oct 2, 2009 #6
    BAAADDD IDEA!!! Charging these beasts is dangerous as it is. I don't mean to be overcautious but I've had one explode in my backyard and it's very dangerous.

8. Jan 4, 2010 #7
    Charging these batteries is easier than charging NiMh or NiCad's. I think it would be farly straight farward to detect when charging is completed as there is a very noticable change.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook