Battery Basics: How Alessandro Volta's Invention Works

In summary, Alessandro Volta discovered that a potential difference can occur between two dissimilar metals, such as silver and tin, when they are dipped in a moist conductor, like salty water, creating a battery. In modern AA batteries, zinc and manganese(IV) oxide are used as the electrodes, with potassium hydroxide as the electrolyte. The potential difference is a measure of how easily one of the electrodes gives up electrons and transfers them to the other electrode. However, caution must be taken when handling batteries, as cutting them open can be dangerous.
wavingerwin
Alessandro Volta uses a bimetallic strip (silver and tin) dipped in moist conductor (salty water) to make a battery.

how can a potential difference occur between the two strips?

in modern AA batteries, what do we use for the two dissimilar metals and the moist conductor?

Physics news on Phys.org
The potential difference doesn't arise per se; it's a measure of how easily one of the electrodes gives up electrons and transfers it to the other electrode:
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/redoxeqia/introduction.html

A modern alkaline battery has electrodes made of zinc and manganese(IV) oxide (MnO2), with potassium hydroxide (KOH) as the electrolyte (and hence the reason it's called an alkaline--basic--battery).

WARNING: do NOT cut cells open without knowing what you're doing, or wearing appropriate safety equipment! The black paste you have when you cut a cell open is actually both the KOH solution and the suspended bits of MnO2 anode.

For more on a modern alkaline cell, see the Wikipedia article, or Duracell's handy-dandy information document:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkaline_battery
http://www.duracell.com/oem/Pdf/others/ATB-full.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
hm i see.

it's a measure of how easily one of the electrodes gives up electrons and transfers it to the other electrode

so it's more to do with the atomics of the two electrodes. :rolleyes:

WARNING: do NOT cut cells open without knowing what you're doing, or wearing appropriate safety equipment! The black paste you have when you cut a cell open is actually both the KOH solution and the suspended bits of MnO2 anode.

thanks for the warning. But i am more of a 'theoretical guy' if you like it. sigh..., i know i need to change this principle of mine soon. Maybe start with disassembling a remote control or a computer mouse...

1. What is a battery?

A battery is a device that converts chemical energy into electrical energy. It typically consists of one or more cells, which contain electrodes and an electrolyte. When a circuit is connected, the chemical reactions in the battery cause electrons to flow through the circuit, producing electric current.

2. Who invented the battery?

Alessandro Volta, an Italian scientist, invented the first electric battery in 1800. He discovered that by stacking alternating layers of zinc, copper, and cardboard soaked in salt water, he could produce a steady flow of electricity.

3. How does a battery work?

Batteries work by utilizing a chemical reaction between two electrodes and an electrolyte. The electrodes are typically made of different metals, such as zinc and copper, and the electrolyte is a conductive solution. When the circuit is closed, the chemical reactions between the electrodes and electrolyte create a flow of electrons, producing electric current.

4. What are the different types of batteries?

There are many different types of batteries, but some of the most common include alkaline, lead-acid, lithium-ion, and nickel-metal hydride. These batteries vary in their chemical composition, size, and energy storage capacity. They are used in a wide range of devices, from small electronic devices to large power systems.

5. How do I dispose of batteries safely?

Batteries can contain harmful chemicals and should not be disposed of in regular household waste. Some batteries can be recycled, so it is important to check with your local recycling center for specific guidelines. If recycling is not an option, batteries should be disposed of at designated drop-off locations or hazardous waste facilities. It is important to never burn or incinerate batteries, as this can release toxic fumes.