How do conduction tobacco vaporizers create heat?

In summary, a vaping device uses electricity to heat up a resistive wire coil, which then vaporizes the e-liquid. This vapor is then inhaled.
Fizixkid22
My friend and I were planning on possibly developing our own tobacco vaporizer, but we lack the electrical engineering knowledge. We know they are simple devices with few parts, (a battery usually being the largest one) and we just were not sure how exactly the electrical energy was transferred into thermal energy. I read that resistors create heat when electricity runs through them, but we aren't sure if that is how the vaporizers work. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Fizixkid22 said:
My friend and I were planning on possibly developing our own tobacco vaporizer, but we lack the electrical engineering knowledge. We know they are simple devices with few parts, (a battery usually being the largest one) and we just were not sure how exactly the electrical energy was transferred into thermal energy. I read that resistors create heat when electricity runs through them, but we aren't sure if that is how the vaporizers work. Thanks!
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What reading and research have you been doing so far? I'd imagine that the vaporization process has some fairly tight control of the vaporization temperature, since the resulting vapor is inhaled by people. It seems like if the heating were too high or too low, there could be some issues with byproducts or other things that could cause extra health problems.

Please do some reading and post links to what you have found. Thank you.

Fizixkid22 said:
Do you mean a vaping device? If so, the fluid enters a wick inside which is a coil of resistive wire, such as Kanthal wire. The battery simply heats this coil, which vapourises the fluid.

Some of the more complex devices have control circuitry to prevent too long an 'on' time, and others give the option of either bucking or boosting the lithium battery voltage to give more or less energy to the coil. The user operates buttons and the wattage required is dialled up on an OLED screen, alongside battery capacity and coil resistance meters. A charge-control board and lithium battery completes the device.

1. How do conduction tobacco vaporizers work?

Conduction tobacco vaporizers work by using a heating element to directly heat the material, in this case tobacco, to a specific temperature. This causes the tobacco to release its active ingredients, which are then inhaled by the user.

2. What is the heating element in a conduction tobacco vaporizer?

The heating element in a conduction tobacco vaporizer is typically made of a heat-resistant material such as ceramic or metal. It is designed to reach and maintain a specific temperature to heat the tobacco without burning it.

3. How is the temperature controlled in a conduction tobacco vaporizer?

The temperature in a conduction tobacco vaporizer is controlled by a thermostat or temperature control system. This system monitors the temperature of the heating element and adjusts it as needed to maintain a consistent temperature.

4. How does conduction heating differ from other heating methods in vaporizers?

Conduction heating differs from other heating methods, such as convection, in that it directly heats the material. Convection heating, on the other hand, uses hot air to indirectly heat the material. Conduction heating is generally faster and more efficient, but can also result in uneven heating if not properly controlled.

5. Are there any potential health risks associated with using a conduction tobacco vaporizer?

While conduction tobacco vaporizers may be seen as a healthier alternative to traditional smoking methods, there are still potential health risks associated with inhaling any type of vapor. These risks may include irritation of the throat or lungs, as well as potential exposure to harmful chemicals. It is important to use conduction tobacco vaporizers responsibly and in moderation.