Converting heat into electrical energy

Greetings,

I have a science project to make and i have an idea but i am not so sure about it, the idea is to convert thermal energy into electrical energy which will run a small engine.

I want to put that device in a cooking pan and that heat will be converted into electrical energy which will run a small engine that will mix the liquids in the cooking pan. I did some research about converting thermal energy into electrical energy and i did understand the basics "maybe", since there are many words i didn't understand, i am still in grade 11.

This is a drawing of what i understood so far :-

https://physicsforums-bernhardtmediall.netdna-ssl.com/data/attachments/70/70927-c5b66fd0d41a6502db5ef1ce5ebae3f2.jpg [Broken]

well, i don't know if that sketch could produce electricity, but if it does, how can i increase the amount of the electricity that this converter produce, is it by increasing the number of copper/iron wires?, and/or is it by increasing the heat?

the thing i have read is that if we connected the iron wire into different tides of a battery one will heat up and one will be cold, i don't know why, but if that was true, should i heat one iron wire only? i know that the heat would transfer and try to be equal between copper/iron wires.

my final question is, is this converter gives a fair amount of electricity, or should i give up or use another kind of converter?.

Thanks.

Attachments

• thermal energy - 1.png
    thermal energy - 1.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 494
Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric#Thermoelectric_generators. Is one place to start.

It can be done and it has been done, but it is probably much more difficult than you imagine. I suspect that you have a better chance of making a self stirring pot using the water circulating currents and some kind of a propeller.

I went to youtube.com and did searches for "self stirring pot", "thermoelectric generator" and "thermoelectric stirrer". All those searches returned dozens of hits.

Good luck.

Likes berkeman
thank you so much, actually i found youtube is more friendly and i have learned quite new things through it, at least that was faster than google, thank you so much for your reply :)

heat into electricity is what all coal-fired and nuclear-powered power stations do.
Functionally though, they still require a temperature Gradient. a difference between somthing Hot and Cold. I.e. a hot thing and a cold resivoir.

thermoelectrics and peltier coolers do the same thing but are solid state and much smaller scale.
you can buy a peltier cooler for $4 on amazon.
ttp://amzn.com/B002UQQ3Q2

jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed