How do differential equations relate to traffic flow?

In summary, there are various resources available for learning about the role of differential equations in modeling traffic flow. The [US] Federal Highway Administration has published a monograph on the subject, which can be found online for free. Additionally, an old book by Whitham, Linear and Non-linear Waves, also discusses traffic flow and provides a simple model using quasi-linear hyperbolic PDEs.
cmkluza
Hello, I'm trying to learn about the role that differential equations play in traffic flow, and how I can use them to model/predict/whatever you do with them with traffic flow. Do you guys know of any good and in-depth (preferably online and free) resources I can use to learn about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The [US] Federal Highway Administration has published a monograph on the subject, which may be found http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/operations/tft/index.cfm[/url . Chapters 4, 5 and 6 seem to be the most relevant for your purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
cmkluza said:
Hello, I'm trying to learn about the role that differential equations play in traffic flow, and how I can use them to model/predict/whatever you do with them with traffic flow. Do you guys know of any good and in-depth (preferably online and free) resources I can use to learn about this?

An old book is Whitham's Linear and Non-linear Waves. Chapter 3 begins with a discussion of traffic flow.

Last edited:
pasmith said:
The [US] Federal Highway Administration has published a monograph on the subject, which may be found http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/operations/tft/index.cfm[/url . Chapters 4, 5 and 6 seem to be the most relevant for your purpose.

Thanks, I'll have to read over that when I get a chance, but it seems promising!

lavinia said:
An old book is Whitham's Linear and Non-linear Waves. Chapter 3 begins with a discussion of traffic flow.

Alright, I'll have to see if I can find that in my library or online somewhere to check it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited by a moderator:
cmkluza said:
Thanks, I'll have to read over that when I get a chance, but it seems promising!
Alright, I'll have to see if I can find that in my library or online somewhere to check it out. Thanks for the suggestion!
Whitham was one the the first to model traffic flow with PDE's.

BTW; Whitham, in his book, describes how to model a simple traffic flow as a quasi-linear hyperbolic PDE. This is the case of a one lane road with no exit or entrance ramps. If the traffic is sufficiently dense, one can define quantities such as the density of cars per unit of road and the flow rate(flux) of cars past any point on the road. Since there are no exits or entrances cars are preserved so one can write down the standard conservation equation,

## d/dt ∫_a^bρdx + q(b,t) - q(a,t) = 0##

Dividing by ##b-a## and letting ##b## approach ##a## one gets the limiting equation ##∂ρ/∂t + ∂q/∂x = 0## If one assumes that the flux, ##q##, depends on the local density of cars (which is not completely unreasonable) then there is some function, ##φ(ρ) = q##, so ##∂q/∂x = φ^{'}(ρ)∂ρ/∂x## and the conservation equation becomes

##∂ρ/∂t + φ^{'}(ρ)∂ρ/∂x = 0##

and this is a 1 dimensional quasi-linear PDE. This is a simple case, but shows some ideas on how to do this modeling. Whitham also illustrates how to model traffic lights and other traffic phenomena.

Last edited:
Likes cmkluza and Greg Bernhardt

1. How are differential equations used to model traffic flow?

Differential equations are used to represent the relationship between traffic flow and various factors such as road conditions, traffic signals, and vehicle density. These equations can help predict how traffic will behave under different conditions and inform traffic management decisions.

2. What is the most commonly used differential equation in traffic flow modeling?

The most commonly used differential equation in traffic flow modeling is the Lighthill-Whitham-Richards (LWR) equation, also known as the macroscopic traffic flow equation. It relates traffic density to traffic speed and accounts for the effects of congestion and traffic flow breakdown.

3. How does solving differential equations help improve traffic flow?

By solving differential equations, we can identify critical points in traffic flow, such as bottlenecks or areas where traffic is likely to slow down. This information can be used to implement traffic management strategies, such as adjusting signal timings or adding additional lanes, to improve overall traffic flow.

4. Can differential equations be used to model different types of traffic flow?

Yes, differential equations can be used to model various types of traffic flow, including pedestrian flow, bicycle flow, and even animal flow. The specific equations used may differ, but the underlying principles remain the same.

5. Are there any limitations to using differential equations in traffic flow modeling?

While differential equations are a powerful tool for modeling traffic flow, they have certain limitations. They assume a homogeneous traffic flow and do not account for individual driver behavior or external factors such as accidents or weather conditions. Therefore, it is important to use them in conjunction with other methods to gain a comprehensive understanding of traffic flow.