1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do hydrogen and oxygen mix?

1. Jan 9, 2016 #1
    So I'm curious, if you mix two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen in a bottle, how do they mix? I know that it wouldn't turn into water unless lit on fire. If the bottle was turned upside down and uncapped, would the oxygen fall out the bottom and hydrogen float to the top? Or are the two molecules stuck together so that both would end up falling out?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ambient conditions? Google "entropy of mixing."

4. Jan 9, 2016 #3
    They mix by diffusion. So, when you start out, they are essentially completely intermixed (provided you've waited long enough).
    First, what do you think would happen if you turned it upside down and it wasn't uncapped?

5. Jan 9, 2016 #4
    I'm not sure. If it was lighter than air, it would float to the top. If it were heavier, it'd sink to the bottom?

6. Jan 9, 2016 #5
    Why doesn't it do that when the bottle is right-side-up?

7. Jan 9, 2016 #6
    Because... Gravity...?

8. Jan 9, 2016 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Not true - it takes very, very little energy to do this. Much less than can be provided by an ordinary spark due to static electricity. I've seen a balloon filled with a 2:1 mixture explode as soon as it touched the ceiling.

When you think about Chestermiller's question - how does the gas know whether the bottle is right side up or upside down?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook