How do I accurately measure the size of an object using CCTV lenses?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter bobjim
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lenses
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
bobjim
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Understanding CCTV lenses

Hey guys, I'm trying to get my head around the way a lens works...

I've found the nodal points, and since the medium surrounding the lens is air constant refractive index (air) then they nodal points coincide with the principle planes, right?

Also the Focal length of the lens is 12mm, which I assume since it's a CCTV lens, is measured from the mounting surface rather than the last element of the lens... is that a fair assumption?

I've drawn a diagram of what I think represents the path of a ray going through the lens. (see attached) What I'm trying to do is accurately measure the size of something from it's size in pixels in the image.
 
Attachments
  • Lens Principle Planes.png
    Lens Principle Planes.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 539
Physics news on Phys.org
damn, I talk some rubbish sometimes! *think* I've figured it all out now... ignore everything above! If an admin want's to close/delete this thread, please feel free.