pixel01
- 688
- 1
How can I calculate the force of a bullet shot against a wall if the velocity v and mass m are given?
pixel01 said:How can I calculate the force of a bullet shot against a wall if the velocity v and mass m are given?
berkeman said:Force = mass x acceleration, right? If the bullet doesn't deform as it stops, then you just need to graph the deceleration versus time, and that will net you the force versus time with a little math.
Is this homework? If so I should move it to Homework Help, Intro Physics.
I think you'll need more information that just the initial momentum (P). If you had the time (t) taken for the bullet to come to rest you could treat it as a simple 1-D collision:pixel01 said:How can I calculate the force of a bullet shot against a wall if the velocity v and mass m are given?
The mass and velocity only give you kinetic energy: E=m*v^2/2pixel01 said:How can I calculate the force of a bullet shot against a wall if the velocity v and mass m are given?