How Do I Calculate the Height and Diameter of My CSTR Reactor?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
princessme
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
I have obtained the volume of my CSTR, how do I calculate the height and diameter of it? Is there a certain ratio to adhere to for better mixing? Tried reading up the rules of thumbs but no info on that. Tried searching other books too but to no avail.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
princessme said:
Is there a certain ratio to adhere to for better mixing?
Slurry? Viscosity is high? Low? Gas-liquid mixture agitation? You might get ideas from searching some specific mixing problems.
 
Bystander said:
Slurry? Viscosity is high? Low? Gas-liquid mixture agitation? You might get ideas from searching some specific mixing problems.
Liquid-liquid mixture agitation, for production of biodiesel through esterification/transesterification.
 
I'd start with tank diameter D and height 1.5D, with one center-top-entering 45o pitched-blade turbine of diameter D/2 located a distance D/2 from the bottom. Add 4 - 1.4D high, 0.1D wide vertical tank baffles at 90o around the tank periphery.