How Do I Calculate the Mass of a Planet Using a Simulation?

In summary, the person is having trouble with a simulation given by their teacher and is looking for help on how to approach it. The simulation involves finding the mass of a planet based on the speed of an object orbiting around it, and information on how to do so can be found on Wikipedia and the Physics Forums website. However, the person is reminded to follow the proper guidelines when seeking help on homework.
Physics news on Phys.org
Not how PF works. Show some effort.
By the way: what is your problem/question, specifically ?
Been there, done it, no problems encountered :smile: but that doesn't help you.

The speed of the satellite can be deduced easily from the time (given by the timer) the satellite performs a complete orbit around the planet, and the altitude+radius of the planet = total radius of the orbit.

See Wikipedia regarding the relation between the mass of a planet and the speed of an object orbiting around the planet, and since you have the speed, deduce the mass of the planet from that.

This has got to be posted in a homework forum, with the template properly filled out.

Thread closed.

Related to How Do I Calculate the Mass of a Planet Using a Simulation?

1. How do I find the mass of a planet?

To find the mass of a planet, you can use the formula: Mass = (Gravitational Constant * Radius of Orbit * Orbital Period^2) / 4π^2. You will need to know the gravitational constant, the radius of the planet's orbit, and the orbital period of the planet.

2. What is the gravitational constant?

The gravitational constant, denoted by G, is a fundamental physical constant that is used to calculate the force of gravity between two objects. Its value is approximately 6.674 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2.

3. How do I measure the radius of a planet's orbit?

The radius of a planet's orbit can be measured using a telescope and observing the planet's position in relation to the stars. Alternatively, you can use data from a spacecraft that has orbited the planet to determine its orbit.

4. What is the orbital period of a planet?

The orbital period of a planet is the time it takes for the planet to complete one full orbit around its star. This can be measured in Earth years or in seconds, depending on the size of the planet's orbit and the speed of its rotation.

5. Can the mass of a planet change?

Yes, the mass of a planet can change over time due to various factors such as collisions with other objects, loss or gain of atmosphere, or changes in its internal composition. However, these changes are usually very small and may not be noticeable in our lifetime.