1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I calculate the repelling Force of an Electromagnet?

1. Jun 26, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone, I am working on a project and I am trying to figure out the formula to use. My goal is to calculate the amount of current needed to create an electromagnet with a strong enough field strength to repel a force of 2000 newtons.
    thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2015 #2

Hesch

Gold Member

The short answer is: 400000 A/m.
    But of course it depends on:

* What kind of magnet ( shape ).
    * Dimensions of the magnet and the other magnet to be repelled. ( for example unmagnetized iron will always be attracted ).

So you need to fill out "All known data:".

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  4. Jun 26, 2015 #3
    Thanks. Actually I just found this formula. I can reverse solve for m1 and m2 which is the pole strength of each electromagnet I would be using for the project. 4f895116f8bde4cf60497d348294918b.png and then solve for the current I need.

5. Jun 26, 2015 #4

Hesch

Gold Member

I don't recognize this formula. What is m1 and m2: Masses, or?

Say you have two magnets kept apart with a distance, s. The cross section areas of the magnets are A. The energy density within the airgap will be

Edens = ½*B*H [ J/m3 ] ( = ½*μ0*B2 )

The energy in the airgap will be E = ½*B*H*Volumeairgap = ½*B*H*s*A

Now, you can find the force: F = dE/ds = ½*B*H*A.

But what is the size of A?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook