How do I calculate the Velocity when only given the force and weight?

In summary, to calculate velocity when only given the force and weight, you can use the equation v = F/m, where v is velocity, F is force, and m is mass. The units for force and weight must be consistent in order to ensure accuracy in the calculation. Converting to a specific unit is not necessary as long as the units are consistent. This equation can be used for any object as long as no other external forces are acting on it. When using this equation, the direction of the force and weight should be considered, as well as the object's acceleration if it is not constant.
camel-man
I do not know how to calculate the velocity of a 50.0g steel ball shot from a slingshot with a 120N/m spring constant when pulled back 35cm and released.

Can someone help me with the formulas to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
As this looks like homework, I moved the thread to the homework section.

Did you try energy conservation?

The elastic potential energy is given by [itex]PE=\frac{1}{2}kx^2[/itex]

The potential energy will be converted to kinetic energy given by [itex]KE=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/itex]

1. How do I calculate the velocity when only given the force and weight?

To calculate velocity when only given the force and weight, you can use the equation v = F/m, where v is velocity, F is force, and m is mass.

2. Can I use any unit for force and weight in the velocity calculation?

Yes, as long as the unit for force and weight are consistent with each other. For example, if force is measured in Newtons (N), weight should also be measured in Newtons to ensure accuracy in the calculation.

3. Do I need to convert the force and weight to a specific unit for the velocity calculation?

No, you do not need to convert the force and weight to a specific unit. As long as the units are consistent, the calculation will give you the correct velocity value.

4. Can I use this equation to calculate velocity for any object?

Yes, this equation can be used to calculate the velocity for any object as long as the force and weight are known. However, it is important to note that this equation assumes that there are no other external forces acting on the object.

5. What other factors should I consider when calculating velocity using this equation?

When using this equation, it is important to consider the direction of the force and weight. The velocity calculated will only represent the speed of the object, not its direction. Additionally, the object's acceleration should also be taken into account if it is not constant.