How do I calculate Vo/Vs for a potentiometer circuit with varying resistance?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
tanky322
Messages
43
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In the circuit below, the wiper divides the potentiometer resistance between [tex]\alpha R[/tex] and[tex]\ (1- alpha R)[/tex], 0 [tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\alpha[/tex] [tex]\geq 1[/tex]. Find Vo / Vs

Schematic1.jpg

Homework Equations



KVL
KCL

The Attempt at a Solution



Im thinking that the Pot. Resistance will be R +(1-[tex]\alpha[/tex])R. Then to find the voltage (R +(1-[tex]\alpha[/tex])R)I
 
Attachments
  • Schematic1.JPG
    Schematic1.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 617
Physics news on Phys.org
You can ignore the resistance of the main part of the pot to ground that is below the wiper because it is in parallel with a short circuit.
The resitance of the pot is simply, R - alphaR = R(1-alpha)
 
So would the answer be:

(([tex]\Sigma[/tex]R)/I)Vs


Sorry about the formatting, I need to learn how to use the system.


Thanks


Andrew