Gain of Electric Circuit: Vo/Vs and Resistance R

In summary, this problem asks for the gain of a circuit with three input wires. The ground connection on the bottom rail is another current path, and the op-amps will provide "hidden" current paths to ground even if the bottom rail is made into an essential node by removing its ground connection.
TwoEG

Homework Statement

2ywa62e.png

So this problem is on Introduction to Electric Circuits 9th Edition (Richard C.Dorf)
This asks me to express the gain of this circuit Vo/Vs by terms of the resistance of R.

Homework Equations

KCL, KVL, some ideal OP AMP characteristics...

The Attempt at a Solution

Look at the undermost (horizontal) wire. Leftmost (perpendicular) wire has escaping current Vs/20(A). Middle (perpendicular) wire has no current (connected to OP AMP). Rightmost (perpendicular) wire has entering current Vo/80(A). Apply supernode KCL. Vs/20=Vo/80. Vo=4Vs. So gain is 4. Huh, this is weird. There is no variable R in this gain. Actually, provided answer sheet says gain is -4R/(R+80). But I cannot understand this answer. This gain has minus sign, so Vo and Vs must have different sign. This means undermost wire can only have entering current or escaping current. What's the problem with my logic?

Physics news on Phys.org
The ground connection on the bottom rail is another current path, as is the output of the first op-amp. So you can't assume that the current that flows through Vs must be the same as the current that flows through the 80k resistor.

gneill said:
The ground connection on the bottom rail is another current path, as is the output of the first op-amp. So you can't assume that the current that flows through Vs must be the same as the current that flows through the 80k resistor.

Ahh... I forgot about that. But one more question. Is this mean that if I remove ground in this circuit, than the gain of circuit will become 4? I think gain of circuit must be same whether ground exists or not, since calculation using KCL and KVL on other parts of the circuit will be same.

Are you required to start the gain calculation with the basic KCL and KVL rules?
Why not using the known formulas for an inverting opamp adder?
That`s what the 1st stage does: It simply calculates the weighted sum of two input signals (Vs and Vo): V1=-[Vs(100k/20k)+Vo(R/20k)

TwoEG said:
Ahh... I forgot about that. But one more question. Is this mean that if I remove ground in this circuit, than the gain of circuit will become 4? I think gain of circuit must be same whether ground exists or not, since calculation using KCL and KVL on other parts of the circuit will be same.

The op-amps will still provide "hidden" current paths to ground, even if the bottom rail is made into an essential node by removing its ground connection. Think of them as controlled voltage sources with one "leg" of the source connected to ground.

My suggestion is to write KCL at the first op-amp's negative input and recognize how V1 is related to Vo.

Thanks for your replies! Helped me a lot :)

1. What is the Gain of an Electric Circuit?

The gain of an electric circuit is a measure of its ability to amplify a signal. It is the ratio of the output voltage (Vo) to the input voltage (Vs) and is typically expressed in decibels (dB). In simple terms, it tells us how much the circuit is amplifying the input signal.

2. How is Gain calculated in an Electric Circuit?

The gain of an electric circuit can be calculated using the equation: Gain (dB) = 20log(Vo/Vs). This equation takes into account the logarithmic scale used for decibels. Alternatively, the gain can also be calculated by dividing the output voltage by the input voltage and then multiplying by 100.

3. What is the relationship between Gain and Resistance in an Electric Circuit?

The gain of an electric circuit is directly proportional to the resistance (R) of the circuit. This means that increasing the resistance will also increase the gain, and vice versa. This relationship is important because it allows us to control the gain of a circuit by adjusting the resistance.

4. How does the Gain of an Electric Circuit affect the output signal?

The gain of an electric circuit determines how much the output signal will be amplified. A higher gain means a larger output signal, while a lower gain means a smaller output signal. It is important to choose the appropriate gain in a circuit to ensure the output signal is not distorted or too weak.

5. Can the Gain of an Electric Circuit be greater than 1?

Yes, the gain of an electric circuit can be greater than 1. In fact, most circuits are designed to have a gain higher than 1 in order to amplify the input signal. However, if the gain becomes too high, it can lead to signal distortion and instability in the circuit. It is important to carefully choose the gain to achieve the desired output without causing any issues.