How do I choose a topic for the qualifier?

• Other
  • Thread starter mt42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topic
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of choosing a research topic for the qual (qualifying exam) over the summer and presenting it to a committee in the fall. The person is a first year grad student and is feeling anxious about choosing their own research path. They mention their interest in condensed matter physics and their group's focus on thin films. They also mention reading about frustrated systems and topological systems, but are unsure if these topics are too broad. They seek advice on how to choose a topic that will help them become more familiar with lab techniques and the research process in their subfield, and potentially continue pursuing after the summer is over. They also discuss the techniques used in their lab, including growth and characterization of thin films,
mt42
Hi everyone,

I believe this is the right board for this question, but feel free to move the thread if it's not.

How do I go about choosing what to study for the qual? This is something that's been on my mind for a while, and now my advisor wants me to send him some ideas for the next few weeks. To clarify because I know the system is different at different schools, I basically have to conduct some research over the summer, write a paper, and present for a committee.

Anyway, the idea of choosing a topic is giving me some anxiety because it's my first real leap from put-your-head-down-and-do-this to choosing my own research path (which I know is an important skill!).

As of now, especially because of the quarantine, I am doing as much reading as possible. However, I don't really have anything that comes to mind for a qual topic since I still feel so un-knowledgeable about condensed matter physics (for what it's worth, my group focuses on thin films, especially transition metal oxides). My reading has led me to take an interest in frustrated systems and topological systems, but I know these are still quite broad topics.

So I guess my question could be restated as: how do I explore a subject with an eye for producing my own research?

Physics news on Phys.org
mt42 said:
How do I go about choosing what to study for the qual?
What Qual?

Likes Vanadium 50
Should the topic be something that you intend to continue pursuing after the summer is over, or something that you'd like to learn more about that you wouldn't otherwise encounter?

berkeman said:
What Qual?

Basically, how do I go about choosing a topic to research over the summer and present in front of a committee in the fall? I'm a first year grad student and I've never had to choose what to research before.

Dishsoap said:
Should the topic be something that you intend to continue pursuing after the summer is over, or something that you'd like to learn more about that you wouldn't otherwise encounter?

Good question, from what I've heard from senior grad students in the department, some have turned it into much larger projects, and others have more or less moved on from it. I think it should be something that gets me more familiar with the techniques in our lab (I'm an experimentalist) and just the research process in general within my subfield. Plus I think it's a good opportunity for me to see if I do truly have an interest in frustrated systems, for example, to the point where I'd want to dive deeper after the qualifier. My advisor always says that now is the time to sample everything and find what I love (e.g. what techniques I like to use) so we can tailor my grad school experience to that.

What techniques does your lab use?

Dr_Nate said:
What techniques does your lab use?

We do both growth (PLD) and characterization (PPMS, ARPES, EELS, XRD, XPS, AFM) of thin films in-house. We also go to national labs for spectroscopy, but I'm assuming that'll be difficult in the near future.

I do want to learn more about PPMS because that is a versatile technique, and I know how to mount the sample. It also seems easier to understand your results there compared to, say, ARPES. Maybe I can make transport measurements a central focus of my summer research.

mt42 said:
We do both growth (PLD) and characterization (PPMS, ARPES, EELS, XRD, XPS, AFM) of thin films in-house. We also go to national labs for spectroscopy, but I'm assuming that'll be difficult in the near future.

I do want to learn more about PPMS because that is a versatile technique, and I know how to mount the sample. It also seems easier to understand your results there compared to, say, ARPES. Maybe I can make transport measurements a central focus of my summer research.
You have many techniques that are very complementary to each other. The interpretation of the results from all your PPMS measurements are going to be dependent on the models you use. The simple models that are commonly used take up an entire solid-state physics course. If I were your advisor, I'd say that a paper on that would lack focus.

My experience is that many physicists are not that skilled at interpreting electronic band structure diagrams. It's even worse in the magnetism community. Knowledge of ARPES and EELS are two good techniques that could help you make this a strength.

Dr_Nate said:
You have many techniques that are very complementary to each other. The interpretation of the results from all your PPMS measurements are going to be dependent on the models you use. The simple models that are commonly used take up an entire solid-state physics course. If I were your advisor, I'd say that a paper on that would lack focus.

My experience is that many physicists are not that skilled at interpreting electronic band structure diagrams. It's even worse in the magnetism community. Knowledge of ARPES and EELS are two good techniques that could help you make this a strength.

Thank you, this is good for me to keep in mind. So once I find a system I want to study, I should use all I can in the lab to my advantage to create a coherent paper.

1. How do I know if my topic is appropriate for the qualifier?

Choosing an appropriate topic for the qualifier can be challenging, but there are a few key things to keep in mind. First, make sure your topic aligns with the objectives of the qualifier and your research interests. Additionally, consider the scope and feasibility of your topic - it should be specific enough to be manageable within the given time frame, but also broad enough to allow for meaningful research. Finally, consult with your advisor or peers for feedback on your topic idea.

2. Can I choose a topic that has been researched before?

Yes, you can choose a topic that has been researched before, but it is important to add your own unique perspective or contribution to the existing body of knowledge. This can be achieved through a new research method, a different population, or a novel approach to the topic. It is also important to acknowledge and build upon previous research in your literature review.

3. How do I narrow down my topic?

Start by brainstorming a list of potential topics that interest you and are relevant to your field of study. Then, conduct some preliminary research to learn more about each topic and identify any gaps or areas for further exploration. Narrow down your list by considering the scope, feasibility, and significance of each topic. You may also want to consult with your advisor or peers for their input on your topic ideas.

4. Should I choose a topic that I am passionate about or one that is popular?

It is important to choose a topic that you are passionate about and interested in exploring further. This will help keep you motivated and engaged throughout the research process. However, it is also important to consider the significance and relevance of your topic within your field of study. You can strike a balance by choosing a topic that aligns with your interests while also addressing a current or emerging issue in your field.

5. How do I ensure that my topic is researchable?

Before finalizing your topic, make sure to conduct some preliminary research to ensure that there is enough existing literature and data to support your study. You may also want to consider the availability of resources and access to participants or data. If you encounter any limitations or challenges, be prepared to make necessary adjustments to your topic or research approach.