How do I cross Del with (scalar*vector)?

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the identity ∇ x (αB) = ∇α x B + α∇ x B for any scalar field α and vector field B. The equations used are (∇ x B)i = εijk vk,j, (∇α)i = αi, and (u x v)i = eijkujvk. The conversation also mentions breaking up the left side of the identity into two parts and understanding the definitions of the components.
Fido

Homework Statement

Show that for any scalar field α and vector field B:

∇ x (αB) = ∇α x B + α∇ x B

Homework Equations

(∇ x B)i = εijk vk,j
(∇α)i = αi
(u x v)i = eijkujvk

The Attempt at a Solution

Since α is a scalar i wasn't quite sure how to cross it with ∇

So on the left side I have:
εijkBk,j αi

I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to solve out the left side to get to the right because that what I did for the previous problem.

The right side all I could get it to simplify to was:
αi x B + α∇ x B

Physics news on Phys.org
Nabla cross product with something is the curl of the thing right?
http://www.math.ucla.edu/~ronmiech/Calculus_Problems/32B/chap14/section5/930d31/930_31.html

Likes Fido
So does that mean that my left side is just εijk Bk,j α ? I feel like it's supposed to be broken up into two parts

Last edited:
It needs to if you are going to get RHS = LHS ... if in doubt go back to the definitions.
Maybe look at ##(\alpha B)_i## also see what the RHS looks like in components. Play around until you understand it.

1. How do I multiply a scalar and a vector in order to cross del with it?

To multiply a scalar and a vector, you simply need to multiply the scalar by each component of the vector. For example, if your scalar is 2 and your vector is [1, 2, 3], the result would be [2, 4, 6].

2. What does it mean to cross del with a scalar multiplied vector?

Crossing del (represented as ∇) with a scalar multiplied vector means taking the cross product of the del operator and the vector. This results in a new vector that is perpendicular to both the del operator and the original vector.

3. Is it possible to cross del with a scalar multiplied vector in any direction?

Yes, it is possible to cross del with a scalar multiplied vector in any direction. The result will always be a vector that is perpendicular to both the del operator and the original vector.

4. Can the cross product of del and a scalar multiplied vector be negative?

Yes, the cross product of del and a scalar multiplied vector can be negative. This depends on the direction and magnitude of the original vector and the direction of the del operator.

5. In what situations would I need to use the cross product of del and a scalar multiplied vector?

The cross product of del and a scalar multiplied vector is commonly used in physics and mathematics, particularly in vector calculus and electromagnetism. It can be used to calculate the curl of a vector field, which is important in understanding fluid dynamics and electromagnetism. It is also used in gradient, divergence, and Laplacian calculations.