How do I derive the projectile parabola equation using equations of motion?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter nameVoid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Motion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
nameVoid
Messages
238
Reaction score
0
write out the six equations of motion in 1 dimension for constant acceleration and from those derive the equation y(x) for the parabolic path of a projectile.


I have
v2=v1+at
x2=x1+1/2 (v1+v2)t
x2=x1+v1t+1/2 at^2
v2^2=v1^2+2a(x2-x1)

not sure of the remaining 2 and the derivation
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi nameVoid! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
nameVoid said:
I have
v2=v1+at
x2=x1+1/2 (v1+v2)t
x2=x1+v1t+1/2 at^2
v2^2=v1^2+2a(x2-x1)

not sure of the remaining 2 and the derivation

hmm … i have no idea what the other 2 https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=204" equations are supposed to be :confused:

but anyway you should be able to get the projectile parabola by using those four …

with a = -g in the y direction, and a = 0 in the x direction :smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator: