How do I determine the value of L^n (3, 5) as n approaches infinity?

• Thread starter salman213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving a linear map L with a basis of eigenvectors and corresponding eigenvalues. The question asks for the coordinates of a given vector and the value of L^n (3,5) as n approaches infinity. The conversation explains the process of finding the coordinates and the value of L^n (3,5) using diagonalization and the properties of linear transformations.
salman213
Hi I have a final comming up soon so I was looking at an older final and saw this question

the prof did it already but I don't understand how...here it is

You are given that L : R2 −> R2 is a linear map for which B =
{(1, 1), (1, 2)} is a basis of R2 consisting of eigenvectors of L with corresponding
eigenvalues 1/2 and 1 respectively – i.e. L(1, 1) = 1/2(1, 1) and
L(1, 2) = (1, 2).

c) Determine the coordinates of the vector (3, 5) with respect to the basis
B and determine the value of L^n (3, 5) as n tends to infinity

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok to find coordinates of that vector 3,5 its easy enough

[1 1 | 3 ]
[1 2 | 5 ]

and row reduce it to get

[1 0 | 1 ]
[0 1 | 2 ]

so (3,5)B = (1,2)

to determine L(3,5) I got 1/2(1,1) + 2(1,2)

now the prof said to determine L^n (3,5) that equals (1/2)^n(1,1) + 2(1,2)

why didnt he put the 2^n why do you put the 1/2^n only and NOT the 2 to the power of n??

I don't get how to get L^n (3,5)
HELPPP??

Physics news on Phys.org
You've learned diagonalization of square matrices right? So once you see that that there are 2 eigenvalues associated with that 2x2 matrix you know that it is diagonalizable. The 2x2 matrix concerned is the standard matrix associated with linear mapping L. Let's call it A. Once you've worked out the invertible matrix P associated with diagonalizing A, then all you need do is to find the diagonal matrix D, then multiply raise its diagonal entries to the power of n. You notice that one of the diagonal entries is 1/2 and the other one is 1. 1^n = 1 for all n, but for (1/2)^n and n->infinity, you'll get the limit as 0. Once you get that, multiply calculate P(D^n)P^-1 and then multiply this matrix on the right by (3,5), and that's your answer. Should be (2,4), as given by your prof.

I don't get your professor's method above. How is the distributive property valid for iterated linear mappings?

If x= au+ bv, where a, b are scalars and u, v are vectors, then for linear transformation L, Lx= a Lu+ b Lv. In particular, if Lu= (1/2)u and Lv= v, then Lx= a(1/2)u+ bv, L2x= a(1/2) Lu+ b Lv= a(1/2)2u+ b v, L3x= a(1/2)3+ b Lv, etc.

To answer your question, "why didnt he put the 2^n why do you put the 1/2^n only and NOT the 2 to the power of n??", what you really should be asking is "why is the 1/2 to the nth power", not "why is the 2 not to the nth power"!

The "1/2" is raised to a power because it is an eigenvalue of L- each time you apply L you get another "1/2". The "2" is NOT an eigenvalue of L, it is the coefficient of (1, 2) in the linear combination for (3, 5)- it just goes along for the ride: Ln(au+bv)= aLnu+ bLnv. Then eigenvalue corresponding to (1, 2) is 1. If you insist upon "consistencey", you could write Ln(3,5)= Ln(1(1,1)+ 2(1,2))= (1)(1/2)n(1, 1)+ (2)(1n)(1, 2). Of course, 1n= 1!

I don't get how to get L^n (3,5)
Your professor told you exactly how:
to determine L^n (3,5) that equals (1/2)^n(1,1) + 2(1,2)
Even if you were not sure why that was true you ought to be able to use it!
Ln(3, 5)= (1/2)^n(1, 1)+ 2(1, 2)= ((1/2)n+ 2, (1/2)n+ 4).

As defnnnder said, since the limit, as n goes to infinity, of (1/2)n is 0, the limit of Ln, as n goes to infinity, is (2, 4).

defnnnder said:
I don't get your professor's method above. How is the distributive property valid for iterated linear mappings?
?? Since the "distributive property" is true for a linear transformation (by definition of "linear transformation") it is trivially true for iterated linear mappings:

L2(au+ bv)= L(L(au+bv))= L(aLu+ bLv)= a L(Lu)+ b L(Lv)= aL2u+ bL2v. The general case could be proved by induction.

so (3,5)B = (1,2)

the b coordinate of 3,5 is (1,2)

but to calculate L(3,5)

don't I need to know

1) the matrix representation of linear map with respect to the basis

2) then multiply that by the B coordinates like the following

[1/2...0]
[0...1]B

[1/2...0][1]
[0...1][2] =

[ 1/2]
[ 2 ]

therefore L(3,5) = 1/2*(1,1) + 2*(1,2)

so if the transformation is applied again the EIGENVALUE will be applied to each?

L^2(3,5) = (1/2 (1/2*(1,1)) + (1(2*(1,2))

repeadat

Last edited:
salman213 said:
so (3,5)B = (1,2)

the b coordinate of 3,5 is (1,2)

but to calculate L(3,5)

don't I need to know

1) the matrix representation of linear map with respect to the basis

2) then multiply that by the B coordinates like the following

[1/2...0]
[0...1]B

[1/2...0][1]
[0...1][2] =

[ 1/2]
[ 2 ]

therefore L(3,5) = 1/2*(1,1) + 2*(1,2)
No, you don't need to know any of those things. You only need to know that (3,5)= (1,1)+ 2(1,2) and that L(1,1)= 1/2, L(1,2)= 1. L(3,5)= L(1,1)+ 2L(1,2)= 1/2(1,1)+ 2(1)(1, 2)= (1/2, 1/2)+ (2, 4)= (5/2, 9/2). And Ln(3,5)= Ln(1,1)+ 2Ln(1, 2)= (1/2)n(1,1)+ 2(1, 2).

(It's not a bad exercise, though!)

so if the transformation is applied again the EIGENVALUE will be applied to each?

L^2(3,5) = (1/2 (1/2*(1,1)) + (1(2*(1,2))

repeadat

Well, I wouldn]t say "applied" to each- it is multiplied by each. You know that L(1,1)= 1/2(1,1) so L2(1,1)= L(L(1,1))= L((1/2)(1,1)= (1/2)L(1,1) (by the L(av)= aL(v) property of linear transformations) = (1/2)(1/2)(1, 1)= (1/4)(1,1).

alright pretty cool

thanks

1. What is a linear map?

A linear map, also known as a linear transformation, is a function between two vector spaces that preserves the vector addition and scalar multiplication operations. In simpler terms, it is a function that takes in a vector and outputs another vector, while maintaining the same properties of scaling and direction.

2. What are coordinates in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, coordinates are a set of numbers that represent the position of a point in a vector space. They are typically represented as an ordered list, with each number corresponding to a specific dimension or axis in the vector space. Coordinates are essential in representing and performing operations on vectors and matrices.

3. What is a basis in linear algebra?

A basis in linear algebra is a set of linearly independent vectors that span a vector space. This means that any vector in that space can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors. The basis is often referred to as the "building blocks" of a vector space, as they are the foundation for all other vectors in that space.

4. How do you find the standard basis?

The standard basis in linear algebra is a set of vectors that form the coordinate axes in a vector space. To find the standard basis, you can start with a vector space's standard unit vectors, which are vectors with a single component equal to 1 and all other components equal to 0. The standard basis is then formed by scaling and combining these unit vectors to span the entire vector space.

5. What is the difference between a linear map and a matrix?

A linear map is a function that operates on vectors and preserves their linear properties, while a matrix is a rectangular array of numbers that represents a linear map in a particular coordinate system. In other words, a matrix is a way to represent a linear map visually, while a linear map is a more abstract concept that can be represented in various ways, including matrices.