How do I do this trig. integral?

In summary, the integral ##\int \frac{cos^4(x)cos(x)}{\sqrt{sin(x)}} dx## can be rewritten as ##\int \frac{(1-sin^2(x))^2cos(x)}{\sqrt{sin(x)}} dx## and then solved using the substitution ##u = sin(x)## and ##du = cos(x)##.
shreddinglicks

Homework Statement

∫cos(x)^5 / sqrt(sin(x))dx

Homework Equations

∫cos(x)^5 / sqrt(sin(x))dx

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to break up cos(x)^5

∫(cos(x)^2)(cos(x)^3)dx

I tried an identity

(1-sin(x)^2)(sin(x)^-.5)cosx^3

I tried to distribute the sin(x)^.5 and use a u sub but that's where I get stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write the integral as:

##\int \frac{cos^4(x)cos(x)}{\sqrt{sin(x)}} dx##
##= \int \frac{(1-sin^2(x))^2cos(x)}{\sqrt{sin(x)}} dx##

##u = sin(x).. du = ..##

Zondrina said:
Write the integral as:

##\int \frac{cos^4(x)cos(x)}{\sqrt{sin(x)}} dx##
##= \int \frac{(1-sin^2(x))^2cos(x)}{\sqrt{sin(x)}} dx##

##u = sin(x).. du = ..##

I see, and du = cos(x)

that takes care of my cos(x) in the numerator but it doesn't take care of the identity.

shreddinglicks said:
I see, and du = cos(x)

that takes care of my cos(x) in the numerator but it doesn't take care of the identity.

Of course it does. If ##u = sin(x)## then ##u^2 = sin^2(x)##.

1. How do I approach a trigonometric integral?

To approach a trigonometric integral, you should first identify the type of integral you are dealing with. This could be a basic trigonometric function, a product of trigonometric functions, or a composition of trigonometric functions. Once you have identified the type of integral, you can use trigonometric identities and substitution techniques to simplify the integral and solve it.

2. What are some common trigonometric identities that can help with integrals?

Some common trigonometric identities that are useful for solving integrals include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities. These identities can be used to simplify trigonometric expressions and make them easier to integrate.

3. How can I use substitution to solve a trigonometric integral?

Substitution is a commonly used technique for solving trigonometric integrals. You can use substitution to replace a complicated expression with a simpler one that is easier to integrate. This can be done by choosing a variable to substitute with and then manipulating the integral until it can be solved.

4. Are there any special tips for solving trigonometric integrals?

One helpful tip for solving trigonometric integrals is to convert all trigonometric functions into either sine or cosine functions. This can be done using trigonometric identities. Additionally, it is important to pay attention to the limits of integration and use them to simplify the integral or determine which trigonometric identity to use.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve a trigonometric integral?

While a calculator can be a helpful tool for checking your work, it is not recommended to solely rely on a calculator to solve a trigonometric integral. Calculators may not always give the most accurate answer and it is important to understand the steps and techniques used to solve the integral. It is also a good idea to practice solving integrals by hand to improve your understanding and skills.