1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Level 3 Forces Problem - Coefficient of Static Friction

1. Feb 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A coffee cup on the dashboard of a car slides forward on the dash when the driver decelerates from 48 km/hr to rest in 3.7 s or less, but not if he decelerates in a longer time.

What is the coefficient of static friction between the cup and the dash?

2. Relevant equations

Final Velocity - Initial Velocity / Time
    Coefficient of Static Friction = Maximum Force of Static Friction / Normal Force
    F = ma?

3. The attempt at a solution

I found a. Final Velocity - Initial Velocity / Time

a = -3.59 m/s^2

I was going to attempt to use F = ma but I have two unknowns - mass and net force. If the coffee cup is decelerating, the direction of the net force is pointing downward. In a free body diagram, we know mg always points straight down. I also think that force is larger than the normal force because the acceleration is negative which means the direction of net force is down. Could someone give me a hint as to how I can figure out the normal force? Or if I'm doing this right at all?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2012 #2

wukunlin

Gold Member

hint: force on the cup during deceleration equals static friction force :wink:

if you still don't get it, write down the statement above mathematically

4. Feb 11, 2012 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The car is decelerating forward, not down. There is no acceleration in the up-down vertical direction.

5. Feb 12, 2012 #4
    I still don't think I understand. I'll say left is the negative x direction and right is the positive x direction. In my free body diagram I left out vertical forces because the acceleration is occurring in the x axis. I have a force vector pointing to the left that says F = m (-3.59 m/s^2) and then one going right that says F sub k for kinetic friction. I have attached a diagram for clarification. I also noticed on my left side I'm missing a mass. Is that even relevant to this problem?

Attached Files:

6. Feb 13, 2012 #5

wukunlin

Gold Member

if you equate the force during decelerating to the static friction force, you will see the mass of the cup (and the normal/weight force) is irrelevant to finding the answer of this question

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook