Level 3 Forces Problem - Coefficient of Static Friction

In summary, the coefficient of static friction between the coffee cup and the dashboard of a car can be determined by equating the deceleration force to the static friction force. The mass and normal force of the cup are irrelevant in this calculation.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

A coffee cup on the dashboard of a car slides forward on the dash when the driver decelerates from 48 km/hr to rest in 3.7 s or less, but not if he decelerates in a longer time.

What is the coefficient of static friction between the cup and the dash?

Homework Equations

Final Velocity - Initial Velocity / Time
Coefficient of Static Friction = Maximum Force of Static Friction / Normal Force
F = ma?

The Attempt at a Solution

I found a. Final Velocity - Initial Velocity / Time

a = -3.59 m/s^2

I was going to attempt to use F = ma but I have two unknowns - mass and net force. If the coffee cup is decelerating, the direction of the net force is pointing downward. In a free body diagram, we know mg always points straight down. I also think that force is larger than the normal force because the acceleration is negative which means the direction of net force is down. Could someone give me a hint as to how I can figure out the normal force? Or if I'm doing this right at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
hint: force on the cup during deceleration equals static friction force :wink:

if you still don't get it, write down the statement above mathematically

PeachBanana said:
If the coffee cup is decelerating, the direction of the net force is pointing downward. In a free body diagram, we know mg always points straight down. I also think that force is larger than the normal force because the acceleration is negative which means the direction of net force is down.
The car is decelerating forward, not down. There is no acceleration in the up-down vertical direction.

I still don't think I understand. I'll say left is the negative x direction and right is the positive x direction. In my free body diagram I left out vertical forces because the acceleration is occurring in the x axis. I have a force vector pointing to the left that says F = m (-3.59 m/s^2) and then one going right that says F sub k for kinetic friction. I have attached a diagram for clarification. I also noticed on my left side I'm missing a mass. Is that even relevant to this problem?

Attachments

• PhysicsForums1.png
    PhysicsForums1.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 469
if you equate the force during decelerating to the static friction force, you will see the mass of the cup (and the normal/weight force) is irrelevant to finding the answer of this question

1. What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of force needed to overcome the static friction between two surfaces. It is denoted by the symbol μs and is dependent on the materials and textures of the surfaces in contact.

2. How is the coefficient of static friction calculated?

The coefficient of static friction can be calculated by dividing the maximum force of static friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. This can be expressed as μs = Fs / Fn, where Fs is the maximum force of static friction and Fn is the normal force.

3. What is the significance of the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is an important factor in determining the stability and motion of objects. It helps to predict whether an object will remain at rest or slide when a force is applied, and is also used in engineering and design to ensure the safety and efficiency of structures and machines.

4. How does the coefficient of static friction differ from the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of static friction is the measure of the force needed to overcome the static friction between two surfaces at rest, whereas the coefficient of kinetic friction is the measure of the force needed to overcome the kinetic friction between two surfaces in motion. The coefficient of kinetic friction is generally lower than the coefficient of static friction for the same two surfaces.

5. Can the coefficient of static friction be greater than 1?

Yes, the coefficient of static friction can be greater than 1. This typically occurs when there is a high amount of friction between two surfaces due to their materials and textures. However, a coefficient of static friction greater than 1 is rare and usually only occurs in extreme cases.