1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I find the points where the electric field is zero?

1. Feb 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two pairs of charges are shown in Figure 1. Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 3.08.42 PM.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I originally thought that the electric field past point 7 (i.e. points 8,9, 10) was the solution. However, this is wrong. I then considered point 1, yet that was wrong too. I even considered that there was no point at which the electric field is zero. However, none of these guesses seem to be right. Where am I going wrong in my thinking?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What are the magnitudes and signs of the 4 charges shown?

4. Feb 9, 2017 #3
    MasteringPhysics labeled this question as a conceptual question, so no magnitude was given for the charges.

5. Feb 9, 2017 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Actually, now that I zoom into the figure, I see the left-hand charges are +4 and the right charge in (a) is +1 and in (b) is -1.

So I would write Gauss' law for the charge configuration to see where the E-fields from the + and - charges got closest to zero (I agree it will be to the right of the right-hand-charge in (b)...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted