Find Sample Solutions for Underdetermined Systems of Linear Equations

In summary, the individual is looking for a tool that can generate non-negative solutions for a large system of linear equations with multiple unknowns. They suggest computing the basis of the nullspace and enforcing a condition of non-negativity, and mention the possibility of using free linear algebra software or asking someone with Mathematica to run the data.
ztepman
I have a system of 379 linear equations and 6325 unknowns. Does anyone know of a tool that can generate some (non-negative) solutions that satisfy this system? I know there are infinitely many, but it would be useful just to have a few for my purposes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not just compute the basis of the nullspace of the resulting matrix and pick arbitrary elements in that nullspace? Adding the condition that the coefficients should be nonnegative shouldn't be too hard to enforce I think.

I don't think any online tool that will let you feed it such a huge matrix but I am sure there exists free software to do it, maybe look around for free linear algebra software? Mathematica can do it but isn't free, but perhaps you know someone that has a copy that can run the data for you?

Related to Find Sample Solutions for Underdetermined Systems of Linear Equations

1. What is an underdetermined system of linear equations?

An underdetermined system of linear equations is a system of equations that has fewer equations than unknown variables. This means there are multiple solutions that can satisfy the system of equations, making it "underdetermined."

2. Why is it important to find sample solutions for underdetermined systems of linear equations?

Finding sample solutions can help us understand the behavior and patterns of these types of systems, which can be useful in various fields such as engineering, economics, and statistics. It can also help us identify any errors or inconsistencies in the equations.

3. How do you find sample solutions for underdetermined systems of linear equations?

There are various methods for finding sample solutions, such as using elimination, substitution, or graphing. The method used will depend on the specific system of equations and the number of variables involved.

4. Can underdetermined systems of linear equations have unique solutions?

No, underdetermined systems of linear equations cannot have unique solutions because there are not enough equations to fully determine the values of all the variables. Instead, there are multiple solutions that can satisfy the system of equations.

5. What are some real-world applications of underdetermined systems of linear equations?

Underdetermined systems of linear equations are commonly used in data analysis and modeling, where there may be more variables than data points. They are also used in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the best possible solution given limited resources or constraints.