How do I get good at geometry?

• Thread starter fabrc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the conversation was about tips for studying and understanding Geometry. It was recommended to spend more time studying and practicing the basics with physical models, such as wood or cardboard, and using tools like a tape measure, protractor, and compass. The importance of measurement skills was emphasized and it was suggested to try practical challenges, such as estimating the distance across a river or street.
fabrc
Somebody can give me some tips? I'm really bad at this.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think you should give some background information. What level geometry? What's your math background? Are you in high school, or college, or ? Are you doing self study, or are you preparing for a class? Etc.

Also, these questions belong more properly in the academic guidance forum.

More and longer study time - and studying PROPERLY. Many people learn Geometry (the high school course) in the term, but some people cannot. This is not really the problem that it might seem. The reason is that SOME people are more ALGEBRA people than GEOMETRY people, and in order to deal with Geometry successfully, they just need more time than the single school year (or single semester, if in college).

A few students seem to refuse to follow instructions and do not do enough of the assigned exercises. I'm not suggesting you are one of them; I'm just saying that some students are this way. This is of course, another reason why a few students do poorly in Geometry.

One word: practice. Find a good book, and do exercises. As many as you can find time for.

fabrc said:
Somebody can give me some tips? I'm really bad at this.

With Geometry, its great to do the basics with a real model, instead of just numbers.

Actually get some wood or cardboard and string, and measure out the angles, and observe the relationships etc. with a tape measure, protractor, compass and rule etc. get you dad to buy you a cheap laser measurer - none of this will be a waste of time, as the ability to measure will be a fantastic asset whether you become a Scientist, Surveyor or Sanitary Engineer.

Its such fun !

Get a sphere (beachball) and mark out the angles, hemispheres, Long and Lat.

Geometry is one of the few area that has a real physical presence, as well as a virtual concept.

Euclid (Father of Gemotry) did a lot of his work on a slate and sand, with a big Compass.

Here's a practical challenge that is huge fun.

Stand on one side of a river, street, canyon etc, and try to figure out how long a bit of string you would need to reach the other side without actually going there.

Hint - Tank Commanders use this principle to know how far away the enemy is.

What is the best way to approach learning geometry?

The best way to approach learning geometry is to start with the basics and build a strong foundation. Make sure you understand the fundamental concepts and principles before moving on to more complex topics.

How can I improve my geometry skills?

Practice is key to improving your geometry skills. Work through as many problems as you can, and don't be afraid to make mistakes. Review your work and identify areas where you can improve. Also, seek out additional resources such as online tutorials or study groups.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in geometry?

One common mistake in geometry is not drawing accurate diagrams. Make sure to use a ruler and protractor to create precise shapes. Another mistake is not labeling angles and sides correctly, which can lead to incorrect calculations. Finally, be sure to double check your work for any careless errors.

How can I stay motivated while learning geometry?

Set achievable goals for yourself and track your progress. Celebrate small successes and don't get discouraged if you make mistakes. Remember that learning takes time and effort, and your hard work will pay off in the end. Also, try to find real-world applications of geometry to make the subject more interesting and relevant to you.

Are there any helpful tips for understanding geometry concepts?

One helpful tip is to make connections between different concepts. For example, understanding the relationship between angles and triangles can help you solve problems involving both. Also, try to visualize geometric shapes and their properties in your mind. If possible, use manipulatives or drawing tools to physically interact with the concepts you are learning.