How do i get the frequency of undamped motion?

In summary, the single wheel of an aircraft can withstand a maximum force of 7500N at a vertical velocity of 8 m/s during landing. The vertical spring in the system has a stiffness of 600N/mm and the vertical damper has a damping coefficient of 38 x 10^3 Ns.m-1. To solve for the mass, the equation F=Kx+cv=ma can be used, with the value of F being 7500N and the value of k being 600N/mm or 6*10^5 Nm. This results in a mass of 764.53 kg. The frequency of undamped motion can be calculated using the equation fn=1/2pi *
ThePeculiarEngineer

Homework Statement

The single wheel of an aircraft can undergo a max of 7500N at a vertical velocity of 8 m/s on landing. The vertical spring moves in SHM and has a stiffness of 600N/mm. The systems vertical damper has a damping coefficient of 38 x 10^3 Ns.m-1

Homework Equations

F=Kx
F=Kx+cv=ma
ω = √ k/m

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried "F=Kx+cv=ma" but when i solve for "Kx+cv" I am not quite sure how to then solve for the mass. the question doesn't even give the mass

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello peculiar, :welcome:
Seems to me you have a differential equation with two initial conditions: ##x (=0)## and ##\dot x = 8 ## m/s

Show your work in detail and check if there is a given you haven't used (he said mysterically

BvU said:
Hello peculiar, :welcome:
Seems to me you have a differential equation with two initial conditions: ##x (=0)## and ##\dot x = 8 ## m/s

Show your work in detail and check if there is a given you haven't used (he said mysterically
Thank you for replying BvU

Ah I see, is x=0 because it is in the equilibrium position?

I expect you are allowed to call it that. I don't know how realistic this exercise is. 750 kg isn't much.

Hey, BvU how does this look?

F=7500
k=600Nmm=0.6Nm

m =F/g=7500/9.81=764.53kg

Frequency(fn) of undamped motion

fn=1/2pi *√ k/m
so...
fn=1/2pi *√ 0.6Nm/764.53Kg=4.45*10^-3 Hz

ThePeculiarEngineer said:
k=600Nmm=0.6Nm
Excuse me ? Could you check this thoroughly :rolleyes: ?

Ah sorry, here are the changes

F=7500
k=600Nmm=6*10^5Nm

m =F/g=7500/9.81=764.53kg

Frequency(fn) of undamped motion

fn=1/2pi *√ k/m
so...
fn=1/2pi *√ 6*10^5Nm/764.53Kg=4.45 Hz

1. What is undamped motion?

Undamped motion refers to a type of motion in which there is no external force acting on the system, causing the system to oscillate or vibrate at a constant amplitude.

2. How is the frequency of undamped motion calculated?

The frequency of undamped motion can be calculated using the formula f = 1/(2π√(k/m)), where f is the frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass of the system.

3. What factors affect the frequency of undamped motion?

The frequency of undamped motion is affected by the spring constant, mass of the system, and the initial displacement or velocity of the system.

4. Can the frequency of undamped motion ever change?

No, the frequency of undamped motion remains constant as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

5. What is the unit of frequency for undamped motion?

The unit of frequency for undamped motion is hertz (Hz), which represents the number of oscillations or vibrations per second.