How do I go about integrating this?

• Thread starter JFonseka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
In summary: I originally meant to type (1/(x^2+ 2x+ 10))(x+2), but I accidentally hit enter before typing the parentheses and just copied and pasted what I had written.
JFonseka

Homework Statement

Find [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{x+2}{x^{2}+2*x+10}[/tex]*dx

You are given that [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{du}{u^{2}+a^{2}}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{a}[/tex]tan[tex]^{-1}[/tex] [tex]\frac{u}{a}[/tex] + C for a not equal to 0

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not entirely too sure how to go about doing this. I first thought of integration by parts, but given that this is a 3 mark question it seems quite long winded.

I split up the expression:

1/x^2+2*x+10*x+2*dx

Then I set u = x+2, du = 1, dv =1/x^2+2*x+10, v = (1/3)*arctan((1/3)*x+1/3)

I have no idea how to get v, that was calculated using Maple, so how is that arctan component calculated by hand?

Using the uv - int(vdu) formula for the rest of it results in some bizarre answers, which might be right but seems altogether too long and complex for a 3 mark answer.The final answer as calculated by Maple is:

(1/2)*ln(x^2+2*x+10)+(1/3)*arctan((1/3)*x+1/3)

Any help and direction greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
JFonseka said:

Homework Statement

Find [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{x+2}{x^{2}+2*x+10}[/tex]*dx

You are given that [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{du}{u^{2}+a^{2}}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{a}[/tex]tan[tex]^{-1}[/tex] [tex]\frac{u}{a}[/tex] + C for a not equal to 0

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not entirely too sure how to go about doing this. I first thought of integration by parts, but given that this is a 3 mark question it seems quite long winded.

I split up the expression:

1/x^2+2*x+10*x+2*dx
Please use parentheses to show what you mean! I finally realized that this was (1/(x^2+ 2x+ 10))(x+2). What you wrote would be more readily interpreted as 1/(x^2+ 2x+ 10x+ 2).

Then I set u = x+2, du = 1, dv =1/x^2+2*x+10, v = (1/3)*arctan((1/3)*x+1/3)

I have no idea how to get v, that was calculated using Maple, so how is that arctan component calculated by hand?
Don't do this "by parts", complete the square in the denominator. [itex]x^2+ 2x+ 10= x^2+ 2x+ 1- 1+10= (x+1)^2+ 9[/itex]. Now you can let u= x+1 so that du= dx and x= u- 1. The integral becomes
[tex]\int \frac{u- 1}{u^2+ 9} du= \int \frac{u}{u^2+9} du- \int \frac{1}{u^2+9}du[/tex]
The first integral can be done with the substitution [itex]v= u^2+9[/itex] and 1/(u^2+9) is exactly what you need for your arctan integral.

Using the uv - int(vdu) formula for the rest of it results in some bizarre answers, which might be right but seems altogether too long and complex for a 3 mark answer.

The final answer as calculated by Maple is:

(1/2)*ln(x^2+2*x+10)+(1/3)*arctan((1/3)*x+1/3)

Any help and direction greatly appreciated.

HallsofIvy, thank you so much for your response, that was a lot of help!

Sorry about the lack of parentheses.

1. How do I know which integration method to use?

The integration method you use will depend on the type of problem you are trying to solve. Some common methods include the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, and Gaussian quadrature. It is important to understand the strengths and limitations of each method before deciding which one to use.

2. Can I use a computer program to perform the integration for me?

Yes, there are many software programs and libraries available that can perform numerical integration for you. However, it is still important to understand the underlying principles of integration and how the software is performing the calculations.

3. How do I choose the appropriate limits of integration?

The limits of integration will depend on the specific problem you are trying to solve. In general, the limits should encompass the entire region of interest and should be chosen so that the integrand is well-behaved within those limits.

4. What is the difference between numerical and analytical integration?

Numerical integration involves using numerical methods to approximate the value of an integral, while analytical integration involves finding the exact solution using mathematical techniques such as integration by parts or substitution. Numerical integration is often used when the integrand is complex or there is no known analytical solution.

5. How do I know if my numerical integration result is accurate?

The accuracy of a numerical integration result can be assessed by comparing it to an analytical solution, if one exists, or by using error estimation techniques. It is also important to consider the precision of the numerical method being used and the number of intervals or steps used in the calculation.