How Do I Know My Career Path After UF Business Degree?

• Thread starter yasoumalaka
  • Start date
In summary: summary is that you're unsure of what you want to do. you may want to consider getting a masters in urban planning.
yasoumalaka
I know you guys have probably heard this before, but I have to ask. I've graduated form UF with a business degree. I can't stand the thought of working in the field of business, whatever that is. So I'm thinking about several options one is getting a masters in urban planning, which seems really cool and worth while, but I'm not sure about it. Also I'm thinking of going back to my high school dream of getting a degree in physics. I've been a computer overclocking junky for 3 years now and I think I'd like to be involved in RD for a company like intel, AMD, Nvidia, etc, etc. I've been looking around and have come across optoelectronics and have read some stuff on silicon photonics and I think this is what I want to pursue. How do I know?

Physics news on Phys.org
Should I takes this as there is no way to know? Or that it should be ovious? I'm just a little worried since I skated through one degree without ever thinking about it. I realize skating through a physics degree is impossible. That comforts me in the decision a little knowing I couldn't possibly make it through without enjoying it. Some insight from someone who had similar issues would be appreciated. Thanks.

I should add that while completing my business degree I took up to calculus 3 earning an a. It was my favorite homework. I'd actually look forward to it which I rarely did for any of my business stuff except finance and economics. I'll also have to say that I didn't like physics 1 as much as calc but it was still fun.

Last edited:
What about engineering? If what you want to do is to work with hardware, an electrical or computer engineering program might make more sense.

Why did you decide to do a business degree in the first place? Are you sure that you are interested enough in physics/engineering to take several more years of school (in subjects completely unrelated to what you've learned before, other than the calculus courses)?

I haven't been in a similar situation so I can't offer advice. But I know that I couldn't stand taking a business degree! :smile:

Well I guess I was more interested in partying than school. I got lazy and that's how I ended up in business. I graduated with a 3.2 and didn't really do much to deserve it. I hardly studied and always at the last minute. That is no longer the case. I usually just work, read, and go kite boarding. Now my thoughts are much clearer and I feel like going back to physics. I would like to find a physics related job while studying for the bachelors. Has anybody done this? Also is it true that when working on a project that physicists work on very narrow parts of the project for extended periods of time? Or do they get to contribute to the whole? Those are some other questions I have.

Engineering is an option I'm still considering, but most engineers I've met don't seem to have the same minset as me. Atleast the ones I've met. I also enjoy mystery in solving problems and can deal with not having a definite answer. It seems the engineers I've met do not, which are mostly civil and mechanical.

Last edited:
Hi yasoumalaka, I bailed my senior year from a professional biochemistry degree and took an IT job. 5 years later, I'm back in school doing an electrical engineering degree. I had to basically throw away almost 2 years worth of classes to switch to engineering, but I don't regret it in the least. If your convinced your going to hate the field your degree is in, fix it now rather then waiting.

kdinser its good to hear you are doing what you like. Did you have the oportunity to work in the EE field while attending college? Or did you have to get the typical lame college job?

I'd be happy working for close to nothing as long as it was in some way related to what I'm studying.

kdinser said:
Hi yasoumalaka, I bailed my senior year from a professional biochemistry degree and took an IT job. 5 years later, I'm back in school doing an electrical engineering degree. I had to basically throw away almost 2 years worth of classes to switch to engineering, but I don't regret it in the least. If your convinced your going to hate the field your degree is in, fix it now rather then waiting.

I through away two years of Accounting school. Similiar to what you did.

To pursue a degree in Physics and Mathematics, but now it's simply Mathematics.

Totally worth it. I'm heading in the right direction.

Nice signature Jason Rox.

yasoumalaka, the thing that comes to mind when reading your OP is, do you like physics in itself enough to immerse yourself in it for more than 3 years before finally being able to work with optoelectronic silicon photonics?

quasar987 I think so. I can't say for sure for physics, but for mathematics I can. It was one thing I noticed while in school. I'd get bored and tired with most of my classes, but I always looked forward to doing the math. Math even gave me a hard time here and there. I had to spend a lot of time with integration towards the end of calculus 3. I still was able to achieve an a in the class. And honestly I looked at grades differently in that class I was usally not that concerned with them and just more stubborn when I couldn't grasp certain concepts. That was my source of determination. Not sure if that's favorable or not, but it helped me through. I also had to receive help from the professor for certain topics so I'm able to keep my pride from getting in the way my persistence. As far as the physics goes I've only been able to study what's in physics 1 and 2. Honestly it wasn't boring at all, but it wasn't the most captivating. I believe once I made it to something more advanced I would have the same kind of motivation I had in math. I think that once I get through all the basics and then get to the advanced stuff that it will be much more fun to have a more robust understanding and experience with physics to be able to simplify or start to simplify the more complex physics problems. If there is one thing I'm certain I love to do it is exploring and finding solutions to things, big and small. That combined with my interest in math I think supports the idea of me studying physics. Since I've been sort of set on this idea it helps to read your replies. What do you think? Do you think there is any other studies that are more fitting for me?

1. What career options are available to me with a UF Business Degree?

A UF Business Degree can open up a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as finance, marketing, human resources, consulting, and entrepreneurship. The specific career paths you can pursue will depend on your interests, skills, and experiences.

2. How do I determine which career path is right for me after earning my UF Business Degree?

It is important to reflect on your strengths, interests, and values to determine which career path aligns with your goals and aspirations. You can also utilize resources like career counseling, informational interviews, and job shadowing to gain insight into different professions.

3. What skills do I need to develop to be successful in my chosen career path?

In addition to the technical skills learned in your UF Business Degree program, you may also need to develop soft skills such as communication, leadership, and problem-solving. It is also important to stay updated on industry trends and developments to remain competitive in your chosen career path.

4. Is it necessary to have a specific career goal in mind before graduating with a UF Business Degree?

While having a specific career goal can provide direction, it is not necessary to have one before graduating. Your UF Business Degree will provide you with a versatile skill set that can be applied to various industries and roles, allowing you to explore different career options and make informed decisions.

5. How can I gain relevant experience for my desired career path while still in school?

There are many ways to gain relevant experience while still in school, such as internships, part-time jobs, volunteer work, and involvement in student organizations. These experiences can not only help you develop skills, but also provide valuable networking opportunities and showcase your dedication and passion to potential employers.