Partial Fractions: Simplifying Unfactorable Denominators

In summary, the conversation involves a student struggling with a problem and asking for help in understanding the steps taken in the solution. They are specifically trying to factorize (1-x³) and are looking for a method to simplify similar expressions. The other person suggests using the long division method and explains how it can help. The student clarifies that they were trying to obtain the RHS from the LHS and expresses their need for it in 1/(1-x) form. The other person suggests using the fraction \frac{1}{x^2+x+1}\cdot \frac{1-x}{1-x} to achieve this while keeping the expression equal.
hqjb

Homework Statement

In one of the workings of a question I couldn't solve(from solution sheet) there was one step I couldn't understand.

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{1}{x^2+x+1} = \frac{1-x}{1-x^3}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried partial fractions(unfactorable denominator) and could'nt get it, finally got it through trial and error but is there a method where you apply to all such expressions to simplify it?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're wanting to factorize (1-x³). You can see that x=1 solves it, so take out (x-1) as a factor.

How to do this? Do you know the "long division" method for dividing (1-x³) by (x-1)? This will give you the other factor.

:: EDIT:: I assumed you were working from the RH expression, wanting to find the LHE. Maybe you weren't. Which do you regard as the "simplest" expression here? :smile:

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
You're wanting to factorize (1-x³). You can see that x=1 solves it, so take out (x-1) as a factor.

How to do this? Do you know the "long division" method for dividing (1-x³) by (x-1)? This will give you the other factor.

:: EDIT:: I assumed you were working from the RH expression, wanting to find the LHE. Maybe you weren't. Which do you regard as the "simplest" expression here? :smile:

Haha sorry if I didnt put it into context properly. I wanted to obtain the RHE from the LHE, it wasnt a proving question but rather the solution manual skipped steps from LH-> RH and I'm not sure how he did it and if I can replicate it on a similar question without hindsight.

Edit : It's for Mclaurin's series for I needed it in 1\(1-x) form.

If you want to go from the LHS to the RHS of [tex]\frac{1}{x^2+x+1}\equiv \frac{1-x}{1-x^3}[/tex] then what you need is for the numerators to be equivalent, but at the same time you can't change the LHS expression.

So what you can do is use [tex]\frac{1}{x^2+x+1}\cdot \frac{1-x}{1-x}[/tex] to get the numerator the way you want it, and simultaneously keeping the expression equal.

Alright thanks!

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method used in mathematics to simplify rational expressions with unfactorable denominators. It involves breaking down a complex fraction into simpler fractions with known denominators.

2. When is it necessary to use partial fractions?

Partial fractions are used when dealing with rational expressions that have unfactorable denominators, such as quadratic expressions. It allows for easier integration, differentiation, and simplification of the expression.

3. How do you simplify a rational expression using partial fractions?

The first step is to factor the denominator into irreducible quadratic factors. Then, set up the partial fractions with unknown constants as the numerators. Find the common denominator and equate the coefficients of the like terms on both sides to solve for the unknown constants. Finally, substitute the values of the constants back into the original equation to get the simplified form.

4. Are there any restrictions when using partial fractions?

Yes, there are certain restrictions to keep in mind when using partial fractions. The degree of the numerator must be less than the degree of the denominator. Also, each factor in the denominator must be unique and not repeated. Additionally, if there are complex or imaginary roots in the denominator, the corresponding constants must also be complex or imaginary.

5. How can partial fractions be used in real-life applications?

Partial fractions have various real-life applications, particularly in engineering and physics. It can be used to simplify complex mathematical models and calculations, such as in circuit analysis and fluid dynamics. Additionally, it can be applied in finance and economics to calculate compound interest and present value of investments.