How do I solve complex differential equations involving velocity and time?

• Thread starter noble24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving differential equations with constants and variables representing time and velocity. The equations are missing a "dt" term and the speaker is seeking help on how to integrate them. The advice is to separate variables and integrate.
noble24
I know at some point, years ago, I could differential equations in my sleep. But now after going through my old math book and reading a number of the threads here, I'm really confused. The problem I am looking to solve looks like this:

[itex]
dV = - \mu V^2 t - \beta t
[/itex]

where mu and beta are constants, t is time and V is horizontal velocity. I want to compute the horizontal velocity at time t given the initial horizontal velocity, mu and beta. My problem gets more complex with the second equation I need to solve:

[itex]
dH = \gamma V^2 t - \alpha t
[/itex]

where gamma and alpha are constants, t is time, V is horizontal velocity and H is vertical velocity. I want to compute the vertical velocity at time t given the initial horizontal velocity. I've been going nuts trying to make this work in my head. They look like rudimentary textbook problems, but I just can't seem to make sense of them. Could someone walk me through the steps?

Physics news on Phys.org
In both equations the "dt" is missing.I can assume it should be in the RHS,case in which i would advise you to integrate directly both sides of the equations...

Daniel.

yes, the basic rule is balance units: i.e. if one side is a differential, the other is too.

Oops. Sorry, the t should have been dt. Corrected:

[itex]
dV = - \mu V^2 dt - \beta dt
[/itex]

[itex]
dH = \gamma V^2 dt - \alpha dt
[/itex]

So, how do I integrate these? Let's take the first one and divide by dt. Then I get:

[itex]
\frac {dV} {dt} = - \mu V^2 - \beta
[/itex]

Now what...

You needn't have done that.U already had separated variables and u only had to integrate.

Daniel.

EDIT:You've changed your equations a great deal and now the advice goes:SEPARATE VARIABLES...

Daniel.

Related to How do I solve complex differential equations involving velocity and time?

1. What does it mean to have the hardest time?

Having the hardest time can refer to a difficult or challenging experience or period in one's life. It can also refer to struggling with a particular task or problem.

2. How do people cope with having the hardest time?

Everyone copes with difficult situations in their own way. Some people may seek support from friends and family, while others may turn to therapy or other forms of self-care. It is important to find healthy coping mechanisms that work for you.

3. Can having the hardest time lead to mental health issues?

It is possible for experiencing a difficult time to contribute to the development of mental health issues, such as anxiety or depression. However, not everyone who goes through a challenging experience will develop a mental health disorder. Seeking support and practicing self-care can help prevent or manage potential mental health issues.

4. How can we support someone who is going through the hardest time?

The best way to support someone going through a difficult time is to listen to them without judgment and offer empathy and understanding. Avoid giving unsolicited advice or trying to "fix" their problems. Simply being there for them and showing that you care can make a big difference.

5. Is there any benefit to going through the hardest time?

While it may not feel like it in the moment, going through a challenging experience can actually have some benefits. It can make us stronger, more resilient, and better equipped to handle future difficulties. It can also lead to personal growth and a deeper understanding of ourselves.