How do I solve for conditional variance in a continuous distribution?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the conditional variance of Y given X=x, or Var[Y|X=x], using the formula VAR[Y|X=x] = E[Y^2|X=x] - (E[Y|X=x])^2. The participants also discuss how to find the conditional expectation, which is calculated by integrating the bivariate distribution across a slice corresponding to a specific value of x. This results in a univariate distribution in terms of y for a fixed x, and the conditional expectation is found by integrating this distribution.
waealu
I am working on studying for a probability exam and I just came across conditional variance, but I can't find anything in my materials for how to solve it.

If I want to find the conditional variance of Y given that X=x, or Var[Y|X=x], how would I solve it? I am given a continuous distribution function of:

f(x,y) = 2x, for 0<x<1, x<y<x+1
otherwise 0.

How do I set up this question?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I think I posted this in the wrong part of the forum. I re-posted it in the Homework help section.

Hey waealu and welcome to the forums.

Given VAR[Y|X=x] = E[Y^2|X=x] - (E[Y|X=x])^2, what can you do to calculate the variance?

I understand that's how you could get the conditional variance, but how do you get the conditional expectation.

Is it E[Y|X=x]=∫ y*f(y|x)*dy ?

Where f(y|x) = f(x,y) / f(x) ?

You integrate out the y component and get an expectation in terms of some x. So usually for getting the expectation of a bi-variate distribution, you integrate across some two-dimensional region, but since it is conditional you are going to integrate with respect to dy and you will get a conditional expectation in terms of some parameter for X=x.

The easiest way to think of it is that for each value of x there is a 'slice' that is in the y-z axis that corresponds to a univariate distribution in terms of y for a fixed x. So if think of the individual slices corresponding to x-values, you have a different univariate distribution for every valid value of x and you are finding an expectation conditioned on a particular value of x. Because you don't specify the x-value it becomes a parameter.

So the conditional expectation assuming E[Y|X=x] is Integral(y-minimum,ymaximum)yf(x,y)dy.

Related to How do I solve for conditional variance in a continuous distribution?

What is the conditional variance equation?

The conditional variance equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the variance of a set of data, given a specific condition or set of conditions. It is commonly used in statistics and econometrics to analyze relationships between variables.

How is the conditional variance equation different from the regular variance equation?

The conditional variance equation takes into account a specific condition or set of conditions, whereas the regular variance equation calculates the overall variance of a set of data. The conditional variance equation is more precise and can provide more specific insights into the relationship between variables.

What are the variables used in the conditional variance equation?

The variables used in the conditional variance equation may vary depending on the specific equation being used. However, common variables include the mean, standard deviation, and the condition or set of conditions that are being considered.

How is the conditional variance equation used in scientific research?

The conditional variance equation is commonly used in scientific research to analyze the relationship between variables and to make predictions about future outcomes. It can also be used to identify patterns and trends within a set of data.

Are there any limitations to the conditional variance equation?

Like any mathematical equation, the conditional variance equation has its limitations. It assumes that the data being analyzed follows a normal distribution and that the relationship between variables is linear. Additionally, the accuracy of the equation is dependent on the quality of the data being used.