1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I solve this integral: ⌠(from -2 to 3) of |X+1|dx ?

1. Jun 30, 2011 #1
    How do I solve this integral: ⌠(from -2 to 3) of |X+1|dx ?

We did an example in class similar to this, but with the absolute value added on, it sort of confuses me. I'm looking for a STEP-BY-STEP break down so I can compare it with my notes from class.

I am taking Calc 1 and this is the end of the class (1 more left) and so he basically just threw this out at us, without to much explanation..Up until now, I've done ok, but really, I don't know where else to go. My academic resource center stinks and I can't find anything in my book (Calculus, briggs/cochran) to explain it.

If the problem confuses you, I can explain it here: it is the integral symbol, with -2 on the bottom of it, and 3 on the top, of the absolute value of X+1 dx. Thanks

Thanks in advance guys, please, a step by step process is what I am looking for

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hi krete77! :smile:

First, we will need to eliminate the absolute value. For this, you have to figure out when [itex]X+1\geq 0[/itex]. Can you find out for which X that holds?

4. Jun 30, 2011 #3
    Yes, X=-1

5. Jun 30, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

For X=-1, we have that the equality holds, that is we have that X+1=0.
    We want to know when [itex]X+1\geq 0[/itex].

6. Jun 30, 2011 #5
    Ok...so next?

7. Jun 30, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, what is the answer? When is X+1 positive?

8. Jun 30, 2011 #7
    When X is positive, I have no idea..i'm really confused by this stuff, which is why I'm just asking for a complete STEP BY STEP explanation..(in the original post). Would you mind? I have an example here of integral of 2x-4 , copied the notes from class, i want to compare the 2..

9. Jun 30, 2011 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

So basically you want me to completely solve YOUR problem? Sorry, we don't do such a things here.

We are quite willing to help you in finding the solution, but you'll going to have to do the work.
    The first thing we need to know is when [itex]X+1\geq 0[/itex], this is basic algebra, you shouldn't have much trouble with it.

We do we want to know that? Well, to eliminate the absolute value. If [itex]X+1\geq 0[/itex] then |X+1|=X+1 and if [itex]X+1\leq 0[/itex], then |X+1|=-X-1.

10. Jun 30, 2011 #9
    Ok, so then I integrate -(x+1) with the limits -2 to -1 + (x+1)dx with limits -1 to 3 . correct? from here, i need help integrating

11. Jun 30, 2011 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, that is correct.

It seems like you want to calculate the integral

[tex]\int{(x+1)dx}[/tex]

how do you start this?

12. Jun 30, 2011 #11
    using the integral recipe; x^mdx=x^m+1/m+1; so im in the process of doing this for both. which would give me: -x^2/2 evaluated from -2 to -1; + 1x evaluated from -2 to -1 + x^2/2 evaluated from -1 to 3 + 1x evaluated from -1 to 3.

Right? this is where i get lost

13. Jun 30, 2011 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Indeed, so we have that

[tex]\int_{-2}^{-1}{(-x-1)dx}+\int_{-1}^3{(x+1)dx}=[-\frac{x^2}{2}-x]_{-2}^{-1}+[\frac{x^2}{2}+x]_{-1}^3[/tex]

So all, we need to do know is to evaluate them. For example,

[tex][-\frac{x^2}{2}-x]_{-2}^{-1}=(-\frac{(-1)^2}{2}-(-1))-(-\frac{(-2)^2}{2}-(-2))[/tex]

So, now you just need to calculate this.

14. Jun 30, 2011 #13
    Sweet, so I actually told you the correct answer, in which I was confusing myself upon. Haha, thanks for the confirmation though, it really helped. So, now, after all calculations, the final answer is: 11 1/2

could you confirm this please, this is an even number in my book and I cannot double check my work. thanks for all your help and time. i can now rest from this semester peacefully ;)

15. Jun 30, 2011 #14

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No :frown: the correct answer should be 8.5
    Recheck your calculations or post them here to see what went wrong.

16. Jun 30, 2011 #15
    i ran through my calculations again and got 11.5 still..here is what i have:

-((-1)^2/2)-(-1)-(-(-2)^2/2)-(-2)+((-1)^2/2)+(-1)+((3)^2)/2)+(3)=11.5

17. Jun 30, 2011 #16

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The calculation of the second part should be

So you needed to write - two times instead of a plus.

18. Jun 30, 2011 #17

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use more grouping symbols to make it clearer:

[-((-1)^2/2)-(-1)]-[(-(-2)^2/2)-(-2)]+[((3)^2)/2)+(3)]-[((-1)^2/2)+(-1)]= ?

19. Jun 30, 2011 #18
    ah simple mistake, thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook