How do I solve this integral using integration by parts?

• Thread starter peace-Econ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses solving an integral involving (x^m)*(1-x)^k and the attempts made to solve it through integral by parts and induction. The final solution involves expressing the integral in terms of a factorial and using induction to solve it.
peace-Econ

Homework Statement

Solve the integral.

Homework Equations

Integral: (x^m)*(1-x)^k where m is a nonnegative integer and k > -1

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to take this integral by using integral by parts, but I couldn't take it. Can anyone tell me how to take this integral? I really appreciate that.

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's an indefinite integral then that's an incomplete beta function. You can do a lot of things with it, but you can't write a simple elementary form for it. What do they really want you to do?

Sorry. the integral is actually 1 to 0. This question is actually induction.

Integral(1-0): (x^m)*(1-x)^k=n!/(k+1)(k+2)...(K+m+1) where m is a nonnegative integer and k > -1

So, I thought that if I take integral from the right side, I can prove it. But it does not seem the case...

peace-Econ said:
Sorry. the integral is actually 1 to 0. This question is actually induction.

Integral(1-0): (x^m)*(1-x)^k=n!/(k+1)(k+2)...(K+m+1) where m is a nonnegative integer and k > -1

So, I thought that if I take integral from the right side, I can prove it. But it does not seem the case...

Then start working on the integration by parts idea. Call your integral I(m,k). Work out m=0. For practice try doing small values of m (m=1, m=2, m=3) until you see what's going on. Then try to express I(m+1,k) in terms of I(m,k) and apply induction.

Last edited:
actually, I think I made it. Thanks!

Related to How do I solve this integral using integration by parts?

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. How do you take an integral?

To take an integral, you must use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. These techniques involve manipulating the function to make it easier to integrate.

3. What is the purpose of taking an integral?

The purpose of taking an integral is to find the total value of a function over a given interval. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to solve real-world problems involving rates of change and accumulation.

4. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral does not have limits and gives a general antiderivative of the function.

5. Why is taking an integral important in science?

Taking an integral is important in science because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of functions in a given system. It is used to solve problems involving rates of change, determine the area under a curve, and find the total value of a function over a certain interval.