1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I take results from an exponential saturation curve?

1. Nov 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have been working on a lab report recently in which I took some data and then further used this data to gather results.

I was plotting magnetic flux density as a function of current, this turned out to be an exponential saturation curve. I plotted this curve using a package at university.

My question is, do I use my original data points to calculate my results, or do I use the data that the non-linear fit gives me?

2. Relevant equations

Y=b1*(1-exp(-b2*x)) -> My equation for the linear fit

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried both, the results from the equation seem to give results closer to tabulated values; however I am wondering is this the correct way to go about the experiment.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Calculate which results? In general, if the curve is a good fit, using its values is probably more accurate as some measurement uncertainties can average out. In addition, you are not limited to data points - you can use intermediate values as well. If the curve doesn't fit well, do not use it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted