How Do Microwave transmitters work without physical connections?

In summary: PCBs for these devices are not connected to anything and that there are waves involved. He also mentions directional couplers and isolators (ferromagnetic). He provides an annotated image of the PCB that explains different parts.
Tech2025
So I recently picked up 40 of 10.525 GHz Microwave RADAR transmitters:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-525-GHz-Doppler-radar-modules-Microsemi-X-band-transceivers-lot-of-100/113234460437?hash=item1a5d4cbf15:g:TwMAAOxywbNQ9YS0

I opened up one out of curiosity and had something like this (image attached) . I noticed some parts of the PCB aren't even connected to anything. How do the different shapes and sizes of the PCB interact with each-other to transmit microwaves?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    83.4 KB · Views: 716
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think the answer lies within what you wrote. There are Waves involved and they don't need a metal to metal connection. I have no idea about the details here but there appear to be lengths of conductor that lie parallel to others. There can be coupling of power between these lengths. If you look at this link about directional couplers there are some images which show similar structures for microwave couplers. There could also be coupling between adjacent layers of that circuit board.
There is no quick answer to how structures behave when em waves interact with them - the design of antennae and circuits is very non-intuitive, whether we're taking about microwaves or lower frequency radio waves. There's a lot to be said for starting with old fashioned Radio Transmitting system design where at least the active parts (amplifier etc) are easy to distinguish from the radiating parts (antennae); in microwave devices, it can be much harder to decide which is which.

Tech2025 said:
I noticed some parts of the PCB aren't even connected to anything. How do the different shapes and sizes of the PCB interact with each-other to transmit microwaves?

Welcome to the world of microwave electronics, where circuits are distributed over space (normal electronics models all components at the same point in space).
It is a fascinating world, far too weird and complex to explain here, but if you want some search terms, try:
  • microstrip
  • coplanar waveguide
  • rat race
  • quarter wave transformer
  • directional coupler
  • isolator (ferromagnetic)
  • smith chart
  • voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR)

Likes sophiecentaur, Dale and anorlunda
BTW just found some open source software that looks like it can simulate some of the items I mentioned. I have not tested it myself yet . . . not sure when I will get some spare time!

Tech2025 said:
I noticed some parts of the PCB aren't even connected to anything. How do the different shapes and sizes of the PCB interact with each-other to transmit microwaves?
not sure which parts you are specifically referring to ?

but here is an annotated version of your pic that I have done that explains different parts

radar tx-rx.JPG
OK, the core of this transceiver is the DRO Dielectric Resonator Oscillator ….
this directly generates the required 10GHz frequency. The RF out goes down that stripline to that surface mount component
most likely a capacitor. Then it is split to the left to the Transmit Antenna and to the right to a mixer device … possibly a dual gate GaAs-FET

To the right of the mixer is the Receive Antenna. The incoming signal from the RX Ant. is mixed with a small amount of RF from the
DRO and produced an IF (Intermediate Frequency) that goes to the rest of the receiver circuit.

So the DRO is providing BOTH the transmit signal as well as the LO ( Local Oscillator ) signal.

You will note I have also arrowed a number of small stripline matching stubs … these are for impedance matching
so as to get maximum power transfer along the line

Those 2 little fan shaped circuit tracks to the left of the DRO puck are RF chokes

DRO's are found in every satellite LNA that sits up at the focus of the satellite dish. Some LNA's have 2 DRO's in there
when they need to operate dual band

I have taken a Satellite LNA where the DRO is operating at around 11.3 GHz and have added/glued small lumps of ceramic to the top
of the DRO puck to lower its frequency down into the amateur (ham) radio 10.3 to 10.5 GHz bandA typical DRO layout/circuit example ….
10GHz_DRO_Oscillator.gif
cheers
Dave

Attachments

• radar tx-rx.JPG
    radar tx-rx.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,036
  • 10GHz_DRO_Oscillator.gif
    10GHz_DRO_Oscillator.gif
    29.9 KB · Views: 898
Likes dlgoff, m4r35n357, Tom.G and 3 others
Tech2025 said:
So I recently picked up 40 of 10.525 GHz Microwave RADAR transmitters:

So did the responses help you to understand ?Dave

1. How do microwave transmitters send signals without physical connections?

Microwave transmitters work by converting electrical signals into high-frequency waves, which are then transmitted through the air. These waves can travel long distances without the need for physical connections due to their high frequency and low attenuation.

2. What is the main principle behind microwave transmission?

The main principle behind microwave transmission is the use of electromagnetic waves, which can travel through the air at the speed of light. These waves can be modulated to carry information, such as audio or video signals, without the need for physical connections.

3. How do microwave transmitters maintain a stable signal over long distances?

Microwave transmitters use directional antennas to focus the transmitted waves in a specific direction, which helps to maintain a stable signal over long distances. Additionally, they use repeaters or boosters along the way to amplify the signal and compensate for any loss of strength.

4. What are the advantages of using microwave transmitters over physical connections?

Microwave transmission offers several advantages over physical connections, including faster transmission speeds, lower costs, and the ability to transmit signals over long distances without the need for laying cables or wires. It also allows for more flexibility and scalability in network design.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using microwave transmitters?

While microwave transmitters have many benefits, there are also some potential drawbacks. The signal can be affected by weather conditions, such as heavy rain or fog, which can cause attenuation or interference. Additionally, microwave transmissions require line-of-sight between the transmitter and receiver, which can be a limitation in certain geographical areas.